Call to Order:
Chairman Bryan Caditz called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM in the Council Chambers, 9611 SE 36th Street, Mercer Island, Washington.
Chairman Bryan Caditz and Commissioners Emmett Maloof, Lucia Pirzio-Biroli, Callie Ridolfi, Carla Weinheimer, and George Wittman were present. Vice-Chair Marcia Dawson was an excused absence. There were no unexcused absences. Commissioner Wittman left at 8:30pm and did not participate in the motion or vote.
Shelley Bolser, Associate Planner, and Nancy Fairchild, Transportation Planner.
There were no changes to the minutes of August 10, 2005. The Design Commission did not vote on approval of the minutes.
Action Item #1:
The applicant, Mercer Island Country Club, requested final design approval for remodel and additions at 8700 SE 71st St.
Shelley Bolser gave the staff report and described the public comment letters from John Tiscornia of 5646 East Mercer Way and Roger Schubert of 8521 SE 71st St. Nancy Fairchild explained the importance of sight distances and the requirement to control vegetation to preserve sight distance at the west driveway entrance.
Dick Winterbauer of 6500 83rd Place SE in Mercer Island, Jay Peterson and David Bertus of Erickson McGovern Architects at 120 131st St S in Tacoma, WA, Jackie Hartness of 7395 89th Place SE in Mercer Island, and Bob Thorpe and Jennifer Lee of RW Thorpe and Associates at 705 2nd Ave, Ste 710 in Seattle, WA, gave the applicant presentation.
Two individuals offered public comment. Paul Tiscornia of 8621 SE 71st St expressed concern with the proposed lighting plan and requested additional vegetative screening west of the east entrance to block light spillage. Susan Tiscornia of 8621 SE 71st St expressed the same concerns.
Commissioners had questions and comments about the following items:
· Transplanting vegetation per the note on page L1 of the plans
· Floorplan of the second story above the building entry
· Trash enclosure screening
· Colors and materials
· Parking lot light standards
· Fenestration above the entry canopy
· Decorative medallions on trellises
· Vegetation screening west of the east parking lot entry
· Roofing materials
- Increased fenestration shall be included on the south wall of the second story extension above the building entrance, per MICC 19.12.030(B)(2)(d) and (B)(3)(b).
- The applicant shall add the four evergreen trees of 8-10’ height each on the north property line, per MICC 19.12.040(B)(7) and (B)(8).
- The applicant shall cover all unplanted areas with mulch at installation, per MICC 19.12.040(B)(11)(a).
- Any new plantings within 30 feet of the west parking lot entrance should be maintained at a maximum height of 18” to maintain sight distance.
- The applicant shall provide adequate drainage in all landscaped areas, to the satisfaction of the City Arborist and City Engineer, per MICC 19.12.040(B)(11)(h).
- All rooftop appurtenances shall be fully screened, per MICC 19.12.060(B)(2).
- The applicant shall implement all SEPA mitigation conditions listed in the SEPA MDNS dated February 16, 2005.
- The applicant shall implement all CUP conditions listed in the CUP Notice of Decision dated March 14, 2005.
- The fenestration above the entry canopy, as presented on September 14, 2005, shall be reduced from three panes high to two panes high.
The proposed amendment died for lack of a second.
Commissioner Pirzio-Biroli made a friendly amendment incorporated into the original motion, and the maker of the motion agreed, to modify condition (1) to read:
- The applicant shall modify the fenestration above the entry canopy to comply with the requirements of MIC 19.12.030(B)(2)(d) and (B)(5)(a).
Commissioner Maloof moved, and Commissioner Ridolfi seconded, to add condition (9):
- The applicant shall plant two evergreen trees in the space approximately 30 feet west of the east entrance per MICC 19.12.040(B)(7) and (B)(8).
The proposed amendment passed by a vote of 5-0
Commissioner Maloof seconded to approve the main motion as amended. The main motion, as amended, passed by a vote of 5-0.
Commissioners requested that the applicant clearly indicate on plans and in writing changes to the design between preliminary and final Design Commission hearings. Building details should be included on all elevations.
Next Regular Meeting:
The next Design Commission meeting is scheduled for September 28, 2005 at 7:30 PM. The Mercer Island Beach Club final hearing is scheduled. There are no scheduled Commissioner absences.
There are no scheduled Commissioner absences for September 28, 2005. Commissioner Maloof noted that he may be absent from the October 12, 2005 Design Commission meeting.
Adjournment: 9:22 PM