Call to Order:
Chairman Bryan Caditz called the meeting to order at 7:34 PM in the Council Chambers, 9611 SE 36th Street, Mercer Island, Washington.
Chairman Bryan Caditz, Vice-Chair Dawson, Commissioners Emmett Maloof, Lucia Pirzio-Biroli, Callie Ridolfi, and Carla Weinheimer were present. Commissioner Wittman arrived at 7:38pm after roll call. There were no unexcused absences.
Shelley Bolser, Associate Planner.
There were no changes to the minutes of September 14, 2005. The minutes were approved by consent.
Action Item #1:
The applicant, Mercer Island Beach Club, requested final design approval for remodel and additions at 8326 Avalon Drive.
Shelley Bolser gave the staff report and summarized staff recommended conditions.
Kurt Jensen of Jensen Fey Architects at 7730 Leary Way NE in Redmond, Jason Henry of the Berger Partnership at 1721 8th Ave N in Seattle, and Shawn Perry of the Mercer Island Beach Club gave the applicant presentation.
One individual offered public comment. Jim Clarkson of 8340 Avalon Drive asked if a future pool cover would require Design Commission approval. Staff confirmed that it would.
Commissioners had questions and comments about the following items:
· Trash enclosure
· Exhaust stacks on the north side of the building
· Windscreen on the south side of the pool deck
· Window material
· Impervious surfaces in the shoreline area
· Concession window
· Entry canopies
· Landscape plans
The applicant and staff provided clarification for the Commissioners’ information.
- The applicant shall include pedestrian canopies at the upper and lower building entrance, per MICC 19.12.030(B)(5)(a) and (B)(9).
- The form, material, and color of the pedestrian canopies shall be consistent with the building façade and roofline, per MICC 19.12.030(B)(4) and (B)(6).
- The trash enclosure in the parking area shall be enclosed with a structure that meets the requirements of MICC 19.12.060(B)(5).
- Any changes to decking and landscaping after final design approval as a result of shoreline permit approvals shall require administrative design review.
- The applicant shall implement all SEPA mitigation conditions for traffic, parking, noise and lighting impacts in the SEPA MDNS dated May 18, 2005.
- The applicant shall implement all CUP conditions regarding membership, traffic impacts, access to the site, stormwater runoff, lighting, and setbacks in the CUP approval dated June 24, 2005.
- The applicant shall provide plant material to obscure the entire concrete portion of the south side of the pool screen/wind wall. Plant material shall continue via lattice up to the glass sections per MICC 19.12.030(B)(1)(b) and (B)(4)(d) and 19.12.040(A)(3), (B)(2), and (B)(3).
The proposed amendment failed by a vote of 3-4.
- The applicant shall increase the use of permeable surfaces at the shoreline, per MICC 19.12.040(B)(2)(c) and (B)(4).
The proposed amendment failed by a vote of 1-6.
The main motion, as amended, passed by a vote of 7-0.
Commissioners expressed the desire to discuss meeting time limits with the DSG Director upon his return. This item will be placed on the October 12, 2005 Design Commission agenda.
Next Regular Meeting:
The next Design Commission meeting is scheduled for October 12, 2005 at 7:30 PM. Island Market Square requests design approval for a change to balcony panels.
Commissioner Maloof noted that he will be absent from the October 12, 2005 Design Commission meeting.
Adjournment: 9:07 PM