Call To Order:
Chairperson Rita Moore called the meeting to order at 6:09 pm in the City Council Chambers of City Hall.
Rita Moore, Chairperson, Don Cohen, Vice Chairperson, Tina Lanzinger, Liz Sanderson, and Bruce Bassett were present. Mike Grady and Fletch Waller were absent.
Pete Mayer, Director of Parks and Recreation
Paul West, Arborist
Deborah Alexander, Senior Admin. Assistant, were present.
(1) It was moved by Vice Chairperson Don Cohen; seconded by Tina Lanzinger to:
Approve the Regular Meeting Minutes of July 30, 2007 as written.
Motion passed 5-0.
There were no public appearances.
(2) Parks and Recreation Arborist Paul West presented three options for the location of the sanican in Pioneer Park. Paul suggested we move the existing sanican to a spot across the path from the current location.
It was moved by Trustee Lanzinger; seconded by Trustee Bassett that:
The sanican be moved across the path way from the current location. Arborist Paul West will erect some posts to cable the sanican to, and add some lattice to provide screening.
Motion passed 5-0
(3) Arborist Paul West discussed the forest management update. Paul will pull together what information he has, and present a summary of the last 4 years work in the park with a map.
(4) Trustee Lanzinger discussed the retreat outcomes and status report. Chairperson Moore suggested the board review the retreat notes in order to prioritize some ideas that were discussed at the retreat.
Trustee Cohen discussed some information he received on the possibility of renaming Pioneer Park. City Council would ultimately decide if the name change would take place. It was determined by Keith Kerner that the cost for replacing park signage would be significant. Further discussion on this topic was deferred.
Trustee Bassett discussed an education program at Luther Burbank Park created by the Friends of Luther Burbank through Nature Vision. Trustee Bassett feels the board might be able to piggy back on this program to develop something similar in Pioneer Park. Chairperson Moore will follow up with Judy and discuss the possibility of bringing a similar program to Pioneer Park.
(5) Arborist Paul West discussed some incidents involving residents removing vegetation from the parks. Paul asked the board for some guidance as to how they would like to address the problem. The board feels it is important to do some community education to encourage residents to report problems. Trustee Lanzinger agreed to draft a letter to the editor for the board to review with the purpose of addressing the public about these issues. Don requested Trustee Lanzinger have the draft circulated before the next meeting to expedite the publication.
Rita Moore, Chairperson
Deborah Alexander, Scribe