City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home Facebook Twitter YouTube
advanced search | site map
Back
LINE
*
Notify me by Email
Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Call To Order:

Beth Brennen called the meeting to order at 6:35 pm in the Luther Room, Community Center at Mercer View, 8236 SE 24th Street, Mercer Island, WA 98040.

 

Roll Call:

Present:  Beth Brennen, Judith Powers Leithe, Katalin Pearman, Kevin Curry, Sandra Schilling, Marcia Thomas,   and Helen Martin.  Absent: Councilman Sven Goldmanis, Cynthia Nuzzi, Ellen Hochberg, Jane Ditzler and Tudor Sherrard.

 

Staff Present: Amber Britton, Diane Mortenson and Eileen Hemmis Trifts.

 

Appearances:

There were no appearances.

 

Minutes:

Helen Martin made the following amendment to the August 8, 2007 minutes:

Under community Relations, first paragraph, second line:  Replace Countrywide and Aljoya with previously sponsored by Countrywide and Aljoya, and now sponsored by Countrywide and Chicago Title.

It was also pointed out that there was a typo in the first line of the second paragraph of the Chair’s Report – the word “to” should read “two”.

 

 It was moved by Member Katalin Pearman to approve the regular meeting minutes of August 8, 2007 as amended. The motion was seconded and passed.

 

Chair’s Report:

Chair, Beth Brennen, opened the meeting by welcoming Diane Mortenson back and welcoming Amber Britton as the Arts Council’s staff liaison.

 

Beth handed out recently published Fall/Winter bookmarks for distribution by Arts Council members.  She noted that the date for Vertigo should be November 3, and to please make that change on them prior to passing them out.  Bookmarks are currently being distributed at the Community Center, bookstore and library.  Beth is hopeful that another bookmark will be published for the Spring/Summer programs.

 

Katalin mentioned that MIVAL gallery showing has been extended to December 21st. If the bookmark is reprinted, she would like to see this information updated as well.

 

Mostly Music in the Park: 

No Report.  In Tudor’s absence, there was some discussion by members and staff who attended some or all of the concerts. It was agreed that the Beatniks are an MI favorite and were the biggest draw. However, attendance was good at all of the concerts despite some less than perfect weather.  There were some problems with the signage for the first concert. Diane suggested that moving the first concert to the Sunday after Summer Celebration rather than the Thursday immediately following, would give the staff a little more time to get signs ready. Amber mentioned that she had received requests from some of the concert goers to consider having an area at the front for blankets only, and having chairs behind that area. There was additional discussion regarding including some children’s performances in the mix, stretching the schedule out to include several indoor concerts as the weather gets cooler, and perhaps changing the dates to Sundays only rather than Sundays and Thursdays. 

                       

Literary & Shakespeare:

Judy Leithe reported that Saturday’s showing of “Rear Window” had an excellent turnout.   Advertising included the bookmarks as well as posters at the bookstore and the library.  In addition to the Alfred Hitchcock retrospective, we also have the French directed film Les Desmoiselles De Rochefort or Young Ladies of Rochefort on October 16th. This is in conjunction with the Sister City Association.  Judy is working on a program with the owner at Cellar 46 to show some French directed films there this winter.  Perry Lorenzo has agreed to do a program on The Ring, sponsored by the Seattle Opera. The Arts Council would be responsible for providing publicity and space for the performance.

 

Judy passed around a copy of the recent Mercer Island Reporter ad, which was directly out of the Recreation Guide.  Judy suggested that all of the committee chairs make an effort to get their schedules ready in time to meet the quarterly Recreation Guide deadlines in order to facilitate doing this again in the future.

 

4Culture

No report.

 

Gallery:

Katalin Pearman reported that she was able to attend the most recent gallery reception and met all of the artists. She felt it was well attended. This show is coming down on October 5th.

 

The next show will be the MIVAL Holiday show. There was discussion regarding the best day(s) to hang the show. It was decided this could be flexible. One of the 8th grade classes would like to come to the show. Katalin thought it would be nice to include them in it by having them help with the hanging.  Diane thought this would be okay. 

 

Diane is looking at adding a show to the 2008 schedule. This show would feature work by artists taking classes here at the Community Center.

 

Public Art:

Beth asked about the delay on the 78th Street project and mentioned that she has not heard from Rich Conrad with the regard to the Arts Council being involved in some of the art selection. She asked Diane to let him know that we are still interested and looking forward to hearing from him.

 

Diane asked if the Arts Council had decided on new public art projects at their retreat.  She pointed out that they would have to go out in a “Call for Artists”.  Amber said that Jen Berner had given her the list.  It was agreed that it will be reviewed at the next meeting.  Diane suggested that the Arts Council consider something for the exterior of the Community Center.

 

Community Relations:

Helen Martin reported that Third Thursday will have a “Harvest” theme in October. Merchants will be passing out Candy donated by Costco, kids will be encouraged to come in costume, and there will be a glass pumpkin blower. Heavy advertising is planned.

 

Helen brought up the fact that the Fall Dance is just around the corner. Helen will contact Aljoya about sponsoring it again this year.

 

There was discussion on what kind of music we should have this year.  A country theme was discussed at the retreat, but other ideas included 60’s rock and roll and a Latin dance band.  Amber will check Jen’s files to see if she can identify the dance instructor from last year’s fall dance. She may have some ideas for bands.  Sandy suggested contacting someone at “The Little Red Hen” to see if they might be able to recommend a country band. 

 

Diane will check for a room and secure a date in November for the dance. Last year it was held on at Sunday starting at 5:00 pm.

 

Helen asked about the status of the I-90 paintings.  Amber reported that we don’t have them yet. She has spoken with Claire and is arranging payment through the Finance Department.  Helen suggested making the hanging into a media event. Amber will check with the city clerk on where they will be hung and when the hanging can be scheduled.

 

Helen mentioned that she is concerned about the Grant Program requirements. She understood that the requirements were updated by Nancy Woo. Jen Berner was going to give a copy to Helen prior to her departure, but did not. Diane will find the updated grant criteria and email it to Helen.

 

Judy recently attended a performance of the Bellevue Philharmonic Orchestra. She would like to see a big name performance on the Island. The JCC, Youth Theatre Northwest or the High School all have large auditoriums that could accommodate larger performances.  It was agreed we could probably not afford the entire Orchestra, but perhaps a portion.  Judy suggested we might also consider some of the high school jazz bands.  Perry Lorenzo may be able to provide us with some ideas too.  Judy will investigate further.

 

 

Staff Report:

Amber reported that she will be emailing the 2008 draft work plan to all of the chairs for their review.  Additionally, she will send a copy of the current annual report for them to update for next year as well.

These are both due to be submitted to the City Council early next year.

 

Amber reported that Tudor Sherard is going to the (music) Booking Conference in Tacoma this year, October 8-11.

 

Judy asked about how to go about looking at redoing the amphitheatre. Beth suggested that this be added to the October meeting agenda.

 

City Council Report:

No Report.

 

Adjournment:   7:55 pm

 

                                                                                                            _______________________________                                                                                                      Beth Brennen, Chair

Attest:

 

___________________________________

Eileen Hemmis Trifts, Scribe

 

City of Mercer Island Washington | All Rights Reserved © 2018| Privacy Policy | printer friendly version Printer friendly version | Site by ProjectA.com