City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home Facebook Twitter YouTube
advanced search | site map
HOME City Council DEPARTMENTS BOARDS & COMMISSIONS CONTACT US
Back
LINE
*
Notify me by Email
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Call To Order:

Chair, Helen Martin called the meeting to order at 6:45 pm in the Luther Burbank Room, Community Center at Mercer View, 8236 SE 24th Street, Mercer Island, WA  98040.

 

Roll Call:

Present: Beth Brennen, Kevin Curry, Jane Ditzle,r Helen Martin, Katalin Pearman, Sandra Schilling, and Tudor Sherrard.  Absent:  Ellen Hochberg, Judy Leithe and Cynthia Nuzzi

 

City Council Liaison present:  Bruce Bassett

 

Staff present: Amber Britton and Eileen Hemmis Trifts.

 

Appearances:

There were no appearances.

 

Minutes:

The following corrections were made to the minutes of May 14, 2008:.

Public Art:  first line, change “Morman” to “Moreman”

Staff Report: first paragraph, 2nd line, change “MI Vision” to “Island Vision”

Jane Ditzler made a motion to accept the minutes as amended.  The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.

.

Chair’s Report:

Helen reported on a new MI not-for-profit wiki site.  It is a not-for-profit event calendar that many of the not-for-profit organizations on the island are using. Helen thought it might be of some help to the Arts Council with event scheduling.  The website is:  http://minot-for-profiteventcalendar.pbwiki.com.  Any member of our group can edit the calendar. 

 

Helen reported that she and Beth Brennen met to go over Helen’s new duties as Chair. 

At Beth’s suggestion Helen has identified some goals for the remainder of 2008 and 2009.

 

  1. Get started and complete the 2009/10 budget.
  2. Create a 5 year work plan
  3. Keep a running action list of “to do’s”.
  4. Expand community relations into all island schools.
  5. Continue adding community members to the email reminder list
  6. Goal is to keep all of the positions on the Arts Council full and survey members every six months or so to see if everyone feels they are involved enough.
  7. Create a roadmap on how things get done between members and staff.
  8. Decide on our public art piece.

 

Helen will email a complete list out to everyone.

 

Helen introduced Tamar Baber to the Arts Council. She is interested in submitting an application to join the Arts Council.  Tamar is an artist. She is currently a realtor with Windermere here on the Island.  She stated that she would like to get and stay more involved with art.

 

 

 

City Council Report:

No Report.

 

Mostly Music in the Park: 

Tudor reported that the MMIP poster is a few days late.  It should go to print by Friday. Amber passed around the poster proof.  Helen has a request from a vendor that would like to sell tea at MMIP.  She passed it on to Amber for review.

 

Amber indicated that we are not actively advertising for vendors, but we can make this a test year.  Items would have to be prepackaged or a restaurant could make it at their site and distribute it there.  In any case, vendors will have to go through a permit process.

                       

Literary & Shakespeare:

No report.

 

4Culture

Beth reported that she attended the May 29th 4culture meeting.  At that meeting Charlie Rathburn told Beth that the Arts Council has unspent grant money, $7,200, for the years 2006 and 2007. The grant says we are required to submit an invoice within 30 days of the completion of any program.  Evidently we neglected to invoice them. The good news is that this money is still available.  He was very sympathetic to the fact that we didn’t know what we were supposed to do and will allow us to submit the invoice now.  Amber asked what backup would be needed.  Beth indicated that Mr. Rathburn would like to meet with MIAC next week.  The only stipulation is that 4Culture is really pushing the site-specific performers.  He would like to see us use some of the site-specific performers to spend some of this money. 

 

Amber said we cannot go back and put that money into the 2006 and 2007 budgets, so it will have to go into this year’s funds.  She will talk to Diane Mortenson to find out what the correct procedure should be.

 

Gallery:

Katalin reported that the Northwest pastel society show sold 4 pieces for a total of $2,795 out of which the gallery gets $698.

 

The show that went up Sunday is from the art students that have been taking classes at Parks and Recreation over the years.  It is a unique show and hopefully everyone will take a few minutes to look it over.  The artist reception is on Third Thursday, June 19.

 

 

Public Art:

Kevin reported on the Color MI beautiful project status. The pots we ended up with were not our original choice, but look very nice and came in under budget. The first pots we picked out were not available.  The second ones ordered were ruined in shipping.  The pots we ended up with were our third choice. Amber said the businesses seemed happy.  Terry Moreman from the Chamber of Commerce would like to request that the judges to plan a time to get together and get her the winners by the 8th of July.  That will give her a few days to get certificates printed and ready.  The presentation will be on July 12th during SC!

 

There was some discussion of the status of the public art that the Arts Council is planning to purchase. Jane invited members of the arts council to go out and look at some studios to look at art for the purpose of finding some public art.  Helen reminded everyone that the Arts Council voted on three types of art at the end of last year.  Amber said then it got stuck on the light pole art. We couldn’t decide exactly what we wanted to do.  Jane suggested now that we may have some more money, we may be able to do more.

 

Amber stated that we did look at an entire list in December and voted on three items – the light pole art, the amphitheatre and something for the wall at the front of the Community Center.

 

It was agreed to go back and look at the minutes before adding any additional public art.  Amber reminded everyone that we have a pretty big chunk of money to spend on these projects. She and Beth thought it was close to $60,000.

 

 

 

 

Community Relations:

Alaska Yukon Exhibition – August 2009:  Jane reported that there is an artist with all kinds of jewelry from the Inuit’s and some other artifacts that she would be willing to share. She has a doctorate in Alaskan History and could be invaluable.

 

Jane reported that island residents Jim Stypes and his wife will take over a sidewalk chalk artwork contest for the kids.  They are hoping the Arts Council will pay for the chalk. It will be a Third Thursday event.  It is going to be held at QFC.  It was agreed that this could be done.

 

Helen reported that James Kazan the owner of the US Bank building said we could have a beer garden and salmon bake in his building band in the parking lot in September for Third Thursday. She will pursue this.

Amended

 

Katalin mentioned that she has not yet seen a piece in the reporter about the donation of the Island Poles.  Amber suggested that we could put a small paid ad in the reporter.  Sandra and Bruce suggested a letter to the editor be sent to the reporter from the arts council as the chances are very good that it would be published.  Beth will rewrite her article in the form of a letter. It was agreed that multiple signatures might be beneficial.

 

Staff Report:

Reappointments and New Members: Amber indicated the Arts Council is now at full capacity; three reappointments and a new member to be selected by the mayor and confirmed at the next City Council meeting.  We are expecting another vacancy if Cynthia Nuzzi moves to Montreal.

 

Roles and Responsibilities

Amber brought up the fact that the he Community Center is currently overtaxed with insufficient staff.  Eileen’s time has come into question. We need to find ways to free up her schedule. We came up with several ideas concerning gallery shows: booking the entertainment, doing the shopping for the reception (using an account set up at a local grocery store), setting up/cleaning up the reception, and hanging and taking down the gallery. 

 

It was determined that the first two items could be combined and rotated between Arts Council members as  there are only 7 or 8 shows a year.  Hangings can be kept on the weekend, but it would have to be during regular business hours and Eileen would not be here.  Amber will send out an email to everyone on the Arts Council to see what they might be interested in.  Katalin thought she might be able to beef up the Art Gallery Committee. It was agreed that there may be some folks that would like to get more involved with the Arts Council, but cannot commit to being a member. Helen will also send out a request as part of her email about the arts.

 

Amber advised that the copier at the Community Center is being programmed with account numbers and the Arts Council will have its own code.  It may be cheaper and easier to use a copy service.  She just wants everyone to be aware that this is in the works.

 

 

Adjournment:   8:20 pm

                                                                                                           

 

City of Mercer Island Washington | All Rights Reserved © 2018| Privacy Policy | printer friendly version Printer friendly version | Site by ProjectA.com