City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home Facebook Twitter YouTube
site map
Back
LINE
*
Notify me by Email
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Call To Order:

Chair, Helen Martin called the meeting to order at 6:35 pm in the Calkins Room, Community Center at Mercer View, 8236 SE 24th Street, Mercer Island, WA  98040.

 

Roll Call:

Present: Kevin Curry, Jane Ditzler, Helen Martin, Katalin Pearman, Ellen Hochberg, Sandra Schilling, and Judy Leithe.  Absent:  Beth Brennen, Tudor Sherrard and Susan Sears.

 

City Council Liaison, Bruce Bassett, was absent.

 

Staff present: Amber Britton and Eileen Hemmis Trifts.

 

Appearances:

There were no appearances.

 

Minutes:

The following correction was made to the minutes of August 13, 2008:

Under Public Art, 3rd sentence, change the ending to read “work on together”.

 

Ellen Hochberg motioned to accept the minutes as amended.  The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.

.

Chair’s Report:

Amended Helen Ellen reported that it is time for the Arts Council quarterly ad.  The deadline is the 18th and it will run on the 24th of September.  Helen stated that the Island High School paper takes advertisements and is relatively inexpensive.  She felt this might be a good place to advertise Arts Council Programs to students and perhaps look for volunteers as well.  She suggested that the Arts Council could track it for a year and see if it increases teen attendance.

 

City Council Report:

No report.

 

Mostly Music in the Park: 

In Tudor’s absence, Amber reported that “Lost in the Fog” was rescheduled due to rain out.  Unfortunately, the turn out wasn’t especially good.  Katalin Pearman suggested that next year we could advertise a specific date and time as an in case of rain reschedule day. 

 

                       

Literary & Shakespeare:

Judy distributed flyers on the classics on film presentations for this fall.  It is a Hollywood western retrospective. Judy plans to switch the films from Saturday afternoon at the library to evenings at the Community Center.

 

Perry Lorenzo will be here later this month with the first presentation for the Ring Cycle. 

 

4Culture

Amber reported that the budget amendment was approved.  She will work with Charlie Rathburn to complete that process.

 

Gallery:

Katalin Pearman reported that the Photography show ended on August 29th.  The Arts Council netted about $200 on the show.  The current show, Women Painters of Washington, was hung on Monday.  The reception is on the 18th.  MIVAL is going up on October 20th.  Jane Ditzler will head up the installation.  The reception is scheduled for October 23rd. Beth will be responsible for the food and drink.  The time for the show is scheduled a little later than usual – 6:00 to 8:00 pm.  Katalin remarked that the 2009 schedule is turning out to be quite large.  There are eight shows currently scheduled in 2009. 

 

 

Public Art:

Helen stated that she would like to find out more about the parameters for the art for the CCMV front wall.  She would like to get kids from the grade school involved.  The call for artist could be for someone to work with kids to create something. She suggested we will need to contract with someone to do the installation.

 

It was suggested one wall could be done this year and another in a future year.  Kevin Curry suggested that it be made removable (on a substructure) so that it could be changed.  Sandra also reiterated her feeling that additional landscaping is needed to soften the walls.   

 

Helen had to leave at 7:00 pm, and turned the meeting over to Vice Chair, Judy Leithe.

 

 

Community Relations:

Jane distributed an outline that she put together for AYPE.  Two things that are certain are that we will have a show at the Gallery and an all day Opening Celebration. The current plan is to have two shows; one at Aljoya for very valuable items and one in the CCMV Gallery depicting historical events with less valuable and more mobile items.  Katalin has August 3 to Sept 11, 2009 penciled in for the gallery.  Jane hasn’t met with Aljoya yet, but she is fairly certain they will participate.

 

Jane called Tillicum Village about the Salmon Bake, but hasn’t yet received a response. Amber suggested contacting a service organization, like the Kiwanis, to do the salmon bake.  They could use it as a fund raiser. She also suggested tying in one of our movies in the park in the summer.

 

Katalin suggested having someone do a mask or totem pole carving as an exhibition.

 

Jane also mentioned possibility of musicians and dancers.

 

 

Staff Report:

Amber suggested setting a date for the Dance soon.  The CCMV books quickly.  Amber will find out what is available in January and hold a few dates.

 

Amber reported that with regard to the 4Culture grant, there is a requirement that their logo be on all publications for programs that the grant money is used to support.  We need to start adding their logo to all of these publications right away.  It has to be a specific logo.  She or Eileen can get it off of their website for anyone that needs it.

 

In response to Jane’s request for locking cabinets, Amber said we can get two. We need to know the price ahead of time in order to get a check cut in advance.  She suggested we stay under $500.

 

 

Adjournment:   7:35 pm

                                                                                                           

 

City of Mercer Island Washington | All Rights Reserved © 2018| Privacy Policy | printer friendly version Printer friendly version | Site by ProjectA.com