CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 5:05 pm at the City of Mercer Island Caucus Room, 9611 SE 36th Street, Mercer Island, WA.
Commissioners Blakney, Hill & King, Police Chief Holmes, Deputy Fire Chief Heitman, Personnel & Training Sergeant Hyatt, Chief Examiner Segle.
Absent: Fire Chief Tubbs, Police Commander Jokinen, Police Commander Burns
(1) Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes – The Commission reviewed the minutes of the meetings of August 12, 2008, September 9, 2008, and October 14, 2008.
MOTION: Moved by King and seconded by Hill to approve the minutes of August 12, 2008 as corrected and September 9, 2008 and October 14, 2008 as submitted. Motion carried.
(2) Personnel Orders – Staff reviewed the personnel orders processed from October 1, 2008 through January 13, 2009 with the Commission.
(3) Police and Fire Rosters – Staff reviewed the Police and Fire Rosters with the Commission.
(4) Seniority Rights Request (Returning employee requesting restoration of seniority under Civil Service Rule, Section 3.E.2.d.): Chief Holmes reviewed the seniority rights request letter submitted by Corporal Joe Morris with the Commission. Chief Holmes reported that Corporal Morris has done a great job and is an asset to the department. He recommended that the Commission grant the restoration request.
MOTION: Moved by King and seconded by Hill to reinstate the seniority rights of Corporal Joe Morris per Civil Service Rules Section 3.E.2.d. Motion carried.
(5) Waiver Request (Current lateral police candidate is requesting waiver of education requirement.): Chief Holmes provided the history behind why the education requirement was established. He stated the lateral candidates have generally proven themselves to be successful in the position of Police Officer. If a lateral candidate has not been successful in the position of Police Officer, we are told so during the background process. Therefore, the education requirement for laterals is not as critical as it is for entry-level police officers.
MOTION: Moved by Blakney and seconded by Hill to grant the education requirement waiver request submitted by lateral police officer candidate Ricci Lamb. Motion carried.
(6) Approval of Lateral Candidate Eligibility List: Personnel and Training Sergeant Hyatt summarized the lateral Police Officer testing and interview process with the Commission. There are two lateral candidates on the eligibility list. Both candidates are going through the background process at this time.
MOTION: Moved by Hill and seconded by King to certify the Police Officer Lateral Level Eligibility List dated December 10, 2008. Motion carried.
(7) Review of Proposed Changes to Civil Service Rules: Chief Examiner Segle and Police Chief Holmes reviewed the proposed changes with the Commission.
MOTION: Moved by Hill and seconded by Blakney to adopt the changes to the Civil Service Rules as proposed. Motion carried.
OFF AGENDA ITEMS:
Chief Examiner Segle reported that the City and Fire Union have reached an impasse during bargaining and will commence mediation within the next couple of weeks. She reported that the City is hopeful that a tentative agreement can be reached through mediation.
NEXT MEETING DATE:
The next regularly scheduled meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 10, 2008 at 5:00 pm in the Caucus Room at City Hall, provided there is business to conduct.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:40pm.