CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 5:04 pm at the City of Mercer Island Caucus Room, 9611 SE 36th Street, Mercer Island, WA.
Commissioners Blakney & King, Police Chief Holmes, Fire Chief Tubbs, Deputy Fire Chief Heitman, Police Commander Burns, Police Commander Jokinen, Personnel & Training Sergeant Hyatt, Chief Examiner Segle.
Absent: Commissioner Hill
(1) Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes – The Commission reviewed the minutes of the meetings of January 13, 2009.
MOTION: Moved by King and seconded by Blakney to approve the minutes of January 13, 2009 as submitted. Motion carried.
(2) Personnel Orders – Staff reviewed the personnel orders processed from February 2009 through April 2009 with the Commission.
(3) Police and Fire Rosters – Staff reviewed the Police and Fire Rosters with the Commission.
(4) Approval of Entry-Level Police Candidate Eligibility List – Personnel and Training Sergeant Hyatt summarized the entry-level Police Officer testing and interview process with the Commission. There are four candidates on the eligibility list. Sergeant Hyatt reported the candidates are currently going through the background process.
MOTION: Moved by King and seconded by Blakney to certify the Entry-Level Police Officer Eligibility List dated May 12, 2009. Motion carried.
(5) Waiver Request (entry-level police candidate’s petition to waive education requirements): John Eichler, an entry-level police officer candidate introduced himself to the Commission. The Commission was presented with a letter submitted by Mr. Eichler requesting that the Commission consider waiving the 90 college credit requirement for new hires. Mr. Eichler explained that he has completed 74 college credits and has experience as a customer service professional. He also stated that he has completed an extensive amount of professional coursework involving customer service, technical training, sales and real estate. Lastly, Mr. Eichler indicated that he would be willing to complete the remaining 16 credits within a timeframe dictated by the department if he were hired.
Mr. Eichler was excused while the Commission deliberated upon his waiver request. Chief Holmes provided the history behind why the education requirement was established.
MOTION: Moved by King and seconded by Blakney to deny the education requirement waiver request submitted by entry-level police officer candidate John Eichler. Motion carried.
OFF AGENDA ITEMS:
There were none.
NEXT MEETING DATE:
The next regularly scheduled meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 5:00 pm in the Caucus Room at City Hall, provided there is business to conduct.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:36 p.m.