Call To Order:
Mayor Jim Pearman called the meeting to order at 7:03 pm in the Council Chambers of City Hall, 9611 SE 36th Street, Mercer Island, Washington.
Councilmembers Bruce Bassett, Mike Cero, Mike Grady, Dan Grausz, Deputy Mayor El Jahncke and Mayor Jim Pearman were present. Councilmember Steve Litzow was absent.
Susan Morrison, 3453 78th Ave SE, asked if there is a staff person that focuses on air quality on Mercer Island. She checked with the American Lung Association to see how they evaluate the air quality and was told that King County has an ozone grade of F and pollution grade of C. She would like to know how the City Council is involved in air quality on Mercer Island. She appreciates the information that she receives from the City on water quality and wondered if information about air quality could be sent out also.
City Manager Rich Conrad responded that cities in King, Kitsap, Pierce and Snohomish contract with the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency for air quality monitoring and education. He added that staff would provide contact information for the agency and determine if they have communication pieces that the City can reproduce on our website.
(1) It was moved by Councilmember Grady; seconded by Councilmember Bassett to:
Adopt the Regular Meeting Minutes of October 4, 2010 and the Special Meeting Minutes of October 11, 2010 as written.
Motion PASSED 6-0.
(2) Payables: $574,555.50 (10/13/2010)
Recommendation: Certify that the materials or services hereinbefore specified have been received and that all warrant numbers listed are approved for payment.
Payroll: $672,263.68 (10/8/2010)
Recommendation: Certify that the materials or services specified have been received and that all fund warrants are approved for payment.
(3) AB 4573 2010 Lift Station Telemetry Upgrade Phase 2 Bid Award
Recommendation: Award the 2010 Pump Station Telemetry Upgrade Phase II to Technical Systems Inc. in the amount of $196,824.06. Set the total 2009-2010 project budget to $299,041 and direct the City Manager to execute the construction contract.
It was moved by Deputy Mayor Jahncke; seconded by Councilmember Grady to:
Approve the Consent Calendar and the recommendations contained therein.
Motion PASSED 6-0.
(4) AB 4578 Public Hearing: 2011-2012 Preliminary Budget Review
Mayor Pearman opened the public hearing at 7:08 pm. There being no comments the Mayor closed the public hearing.
Finance Director Chip Corder reviewed the preview of the 2011-2016 preliminary Capital Improvement Program that was presented to the Council on June 21, 2010. He spoke about the Council’s direction at the preview as well as the REET forecast for the next six years. Director Corder presented project comparisons to prior biennia (2007-2008 actual and 2009-2010 estimate) by project category and funding status. He explained the six-year fund statements and “available” ending fund balances and detailed the unfunded or partially funded CIP projects.
Utility Board Chairman David Laub spoke to the Council about adequately funding current operations and the capital budget for utility projects and he detailed the Utility Board’s recommendations for utility rates.
Finance Director Chip Corder spoke about the rate setting approach and the 20 year utility rate history as background information for the Council. He presented the proposed 2011 utility rates and provided a 2010 utility rate comparison between Mercer Island and King County averages.
The remainder of the Budget Hearing schedule is as follows:
· November 1: Budget Review of Other Operating Funds (Beautification, Municipal Arts, YFS, Equipment Rental, Computer Equipment, Contingency, Firemen’s Pension)
· November 4: Budget Review of Criminal Justice Fund and General Fund (City Council, City Manager’s Office, City Attorney’s Office, Finance, Fire, Human Resources, Maintenance, Municipal Court, Non-Departmental and Police operating budgets)
· November 15: Budget Review of General Fund (Parks & Recreation and Development Services operating budgets), follow-up items, Adoption of 2011 Property Tax Levy, Adoption of 2011 Utility Rates and Adoption of 2011 Development Fees
· December 6: Adoption of 2011-2012 Final Budget
Councilmember Litzow’s absence was excused.
There were no changes.
There were no appointments.
Councilmember Grady spoke about the HUD/DOT/EPA grant award that the Puget Sound Regional Council secured.
Councilmember Bassett spoke about the carbon challenge that was revised which the School District Board agreed to.
Adjournment: 9:19 pm