City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home Facebook Twitter YouTube
advanced search | site map
HOME City Council DEPARTMENTS BOARDS & COMMISSIONS CONTACT US
Back
LINE
*
Notify me by Email
Open Space Conservancy Trust - Minutes     
Thursday, December 09, 2010

Call To Order:
 
Chairperson Don Cohen called the meeting to order at 6:06 pm in the City Council Chambers of City Hall.
 
Roll Call:
 
Don Cohen, Chairperson, Peter Guyer; Vice Chairperson, Debbie Bertlin, Tina Lanzinger, Elliot Newman, were present. Bob Thorpe arrived at 6:27. Council Liaison Grausz was absent.
 
Staff Present:
 
Bruce Fletcher, Parks & Recreation Director
Paul West, Parks Natural Resource Coordinator
Alaine Sommargren, Natural Resource Specialist
Deborah Alexander, Senior Administrative Assistant
 
Minutes:
 

  1. It was moved by Trustee Newman, seconded by Trustee Lanzinger, to:

Approve the minutes of October 21, 2010.
Motion passed 5-0
 
Appearances:
 
There were no public appearances.
 
Regular Business:
 
 

  1. Engstrom Update Bruce Fletcher

 
Bruce Fletcher reported that the management of the Engstrom Open Space was officially placed under the responsibility of The Open Space Conservancy Trust Board.
 
 

  1. Budget Update Bruce Fletcher

 
Bruce Fletcher reported that the 2011/12 Parks & Recreation Department budget was reduced over $200,000. He also reported that the City Council reinstated $75,000 each year for the Open Space CIP. Bruce acknowledged Dan Grausz for his support of Parks on the Council and the Trustees for sending a letter recommending the preservation of Open Space funds.
 
 

  1. Group Walks Policy Update Bruce Fletcher

 
It was moved by Trustee Newman, seconded by Trustee Bertlin, to:
Approve the Group Walks Policy as presented by staff.
Motion passed 5-0
 
 
 

  1. Preschool Program Development Paul West

 
Paul West reported that he met with the Sunnybeam School to discuss possible programming for preschool age children in Pioneer Park. Discussion followed.  Trustee Bertlin offered to be a liaison for the Trust Board to staff on this subject.
 
 

  1. Northstar Funding Bob Thorpe

 
Trustee Thorpe presented an analysis of the development potential of the North Star site.  There was discussion about the potential for finding additional funding to match the Conservation Futures Fund grant of $475,000.  Trustee Thorpe agreed to meet with the Director to deliver any further information for discussion. Based on discussion, it was determined that there is no further work on this subject for the Board itself at this time.
 
 

  1. Kiosk Area Design Continuation Paul West

 
Paul West reviewed the history of the project as outlined in the 12/9/10 Staff Report, and presented the Trustees with a modified schematic concept design that reflected a potential solution to the issues raised at the October 2010 meeting. The modified design includes a semi circle of seating that focuses toward the kiosk providing a meeting space. It also includes more plantings to create a natural barrier between the meeting space and the road. The Staff Report included photographic samples of different kinds of seating that could be used in the meeting space. A suggestion was made about updating the bench donation policy to include potential bench seating that could be included in this project.  Trustees directed staff to return with a final design proposal for approval. 
 
 

  1. Root Rot Protocol Development Paul West

 
Paul West discussed the background of root rot issues in Pioneer Park and presented the Trustees with a proposal provided by Arborea. The intent of the proposal is to provide staff with training in diagnosing root rot disease in an urban environment for the purpose of developing a new standard of care for managing the disease.  The trustees asked Paul to return with a presentation of the 2011-12 work plan and budget so that the trustees can consider how this work would fit in with existing priorities. 
 
 

  1. 2011 Work Plan Paul West

 
Paul West presented a list of routine and potential work plan items for 2011 and facilitated a discussion for additional items. A list was created and Paul agreed to consult the Trustees by e-mail for any additional suggestions and then send out the final list for prioritization. The results will be presented at the January 2011 meeting.
 
 

  1. Next Meeting Don Cohen

 
Don asked the Trustees if there were any known scheduling conflicts for the January 13th meeting. Trustee Newman mentioned he would be out of town. Deborah Alexander agreed to e-mail the trustees to establish attendance.
 
 
Adjournment:7:47 pm
 

 

City of Mercer Island Washington | All Rights Reserved 2018| Privacy Policy | printer friendly version Printer friendly version | Site by ProjectA.com