City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home Facebook Twitter YouTube
advanced search | site map
Back
LINE
*
Notify me by Email
Arts Council - Minutes     
Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm by Chair Jane Ditzler at the Community & Event Center, 8236 SE 24th St., Mercer Island, WA 98040
 
Roll Call
Members Present: Bonnie Bradley, Paulette Bufano, Jane Ditzler, Linda Iwanyk, Karen Kaser, An Tootill and Susanne Zahniser., Members Absent:   Anna Gordon, Mireya Lewin, Susan Szafir and Julian Trejo.
 
City Council:
Council Member Jane Meyer Brahm was absent.
 
Staff:
Amber Britton & Eileen Hemmis Trifts
 
Approval of Minutes
Paulette Bufano motioned for approval of the September 11, 2013 regular meeting minutes.  Motion was seconded and passed.
Susanne Zahniser motioned for approval of the October 5, 2013 regular meeting minutes.  Motion was seconded and passed.
Bonnie Bradley motioned for approval of the October 5, 2013 Retreat minutes.  Motion was seconded and passed.
 
Appearances:
John Gordon Hill, Chair, Mercer Island Performing Arts Center (MIPAC) Task Force, and Manny Caawling, Director of Youth Theatre Northwest gave a presentation at tonight’s meeting.  The presentation included a brief background of Youth Theatre Northwest - who they are and what they do, and a vision for the new Mercer Island Performing Arts Center:
  • A multi-theater venue for plays, dance, concerts, recitals, lectures, films and all forms of performing and visual arts.
  • A cultural gathering place for Mercer Island and the surrounding communities.
  • A home for Youth Theatre Northwest and the thousands of children it serves.
  • A key amenity, not just for children and families, but for seniors and all adults as well.
    The City has given the green light to develop a proposal for the MIPAC on city-owned land at the site of the old recycling center and Bicentennial Park.  The work of the committee at this point is to identify and document needs of the community and produce a schematic design and projected budget for the project to go forward.  John indicated that the broader the support for the MIPAC, the more likely it will happen. They indicated that they are looking for endorsement and input right now, and asked the Arts Council to commit their support.
     
    Two handouts:
  • 30 years of Youth Theatre Northwest Brochure
  • MIPAC Information\
The Arts Council thanked Mr. Hill and Mr. Caawling for their appearance, and they left the meeting.
 
Jane Ditzler indicated that she attended the inaugural meeting of the MIPAC last week, and that she is supporting the performing arts center as an individual.  She felt that if the Arts Council gives its endorsement, many other groups will follow.  (It was clarified that endorsement does not mean financial support).
 
Karen Kaser made a motion that the Arts Council endorse and support the Mercer Island Performing Arts Center.  The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
 
Jane Ditzler encouraged members to network with other organizations to find out where they stand and to encourage their support.
 
Chair Report:
Jane Ditzler, Chair
Jane reported that “Kenton’s Dragon” will be presented to the public with a welcoming party at Deane’s Park next Saturday, November 16th.  She encouraged members to attend and to lend a hand.  Amber and Bonnie will have more on this later in the meeting.
 
Jane advised the council that Music Works Northwest (Bellevue) is losing its space. They are interested in having a satellite on Mercer Island.  They will be coming to speak to the Arts Council at the January meeting.
 
Jane reminded everyone that election of the chair and vice-chair will be held at the December meeting.  All committee chairs should be prepared to state whether or not they would like to continue in their current positions. 
 
Jane reported that MIVAL appointed a new liaison, June Lindsay, who will be attending future Arts Council meetings.
 
Staff Report
Amber Britton
Amber reported that she and Mireya met with Artech to discuss the next steps for Collections Management. Artech has offered to do a proposal offering several options for a fee. Amber thought it would be around $600.   Amber and Mireya are scheduled to meet with Stqry next week regarding their proposal. Amber indicated that Mireya would like to have both proposals so she can compare them. It was agreed to wait on a response to Artech until after the meeting with Stqry.
 
In response to a question as to the status of the Fire Station 92 project, Amber reported that it has run into some budget issues. The cost is higher than originally anticipated. It will be going to City Council for consideration. Amber indicated that Boeing said “no” to our request for transportation of the donated piece from 9/11 from New York to Seattle.  However, the firefighters really want the girder and are continuing to do everything in their power to get it cut and transported to Mercer Island.
 
Amber stated that she had intended to cover the state of the budget and what was available through the end of the year.  However, there is an overall budget shortfall in the city, and staff has been advised there is a moratorium on spending until next year.
 
Amber gave an update on the dragon.  She reported that the concrete work is done, but she is not satisfied with the coloring right now.  Nothing can be done at this point, so it won’t be perfect for the opening celebration on Saturday.  However, Kenton Pies, the artist who conceived and built the dragon, plans to return in the spring when the weather is better to make some adjustments to the color and to seal it.
 
Amber asked for volunteers to help with preparation for the welcome party. The Dragon party, scheduled for Saturday, November 16, will feature a crafts, dragon egg hunt, 8’ dragon cake and refreshments, and musician Nancy Stewart who wrote a song about the dragon.  Speakers include a City Council Member; the artist, Kenton Pies; and Shirley LaFoulette.
 
Amber asked the Council for their input on the December meeting. Do they want to have a combined holiday party and meeting this year, and do they want to hold it at the Community Center or off site.  The consensus was to have it off site. Paulette agreed to have it at her home.  Details to follow. Amber stated that the meeting portion would have to be open to the public.  It was noted that Nancy Stewart, an advocate for Music for Learning, would like to address the Arts Council in December.  Bonnie will invite her and confirm what she will need for her presentation. 
 
Gallery:
Linda Iwanyk, Chair
Linda reported that the MIVAL Holiday Show is now in the gallery.  Special thanks to Jane Ditzler, Bonnie Bradley (and family) and MIVAL for helping out at the hanging. 
 
Linda advised the Council that the Gallery Review Committee will be meeting Monday, November 18 at 6:30 pm to review applications to exhibit in 2014.  She invited anyone that is interested to attend and help with the review. 
 
Literary:
Susan Szafir, Chair
No Report.
 
Mostly Music in the Park
Paulette Bufano, Chair
Paulette reported that she and Amber will be sending out a letter to potential sponsors for Mostly Music in the Park next year. She distributed a list of 2013 sponsors, asked everyone to look it over, and to let her know if they have ideas for additional sponsors.  The letter will be sent out and followed up with a phone call. 
 
Suzanne reported on the status of talks with the Russian Chamber Orchestra.  She met with the director, Natalya Ageyeva-Traficante, who said the foundation is very interested in performing again next year.  In their discussions, Natalya told Suzanne that the traffic noise at Mercerdale is an issue so they would prefer to perform in the Luther Burbank Amphitheatre.  Their preference would be for a Saturday or Sunday around 5 or 6 pm.  They would also prefer to perform in June or at the end of August; not necessarily as a part of MMIP, but maybe as a separate event.  Amber said that she will check the calendar to find out if there is a date available.  Suzanne said she explained to Natalya that the Arts Council has a very limited budget and she didn’t know if they could pay them to perform.  Natalya indicated that the foundation incurred about $2,500 worth of expenses for this year’s performance and asked if the Arts Council might consider paying to move and tune the piano. The cost this year was around $600. 
 
Karen Kaser motioned to commit $600 to a Russian Chamber Orchestra performance.  The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
 
Community Relations
Chair, Bonnie Bradley
Bonnie reported that the facilities grant application to 4Culture for lighting at the amphitheatre has to be presented to the proposal committee.  Amber said she has it on her calendar, and she will go with Bonnie to make the presentation.
 
Bonnie reminded everyone that the Arts Council is hosting the 4Culture meeting on December 5th at the Community Center.  It is the Local Arts Agencies meeting and starts at 9:30 am.  Amber has reserved the space.  The meeting will provide the Arts Council an opportunity to highlight successful programs from the past year.
 
Public Art
An Tootill, Chair
No Report.
 
Collection Management
Mireya Lewin, Lead
No Report.
 
Adjournment
The meeting adjourned at 8:20 pm
 

City of Mercer Island Washington | All Rights Reserved © 2018| Privacy Policy | printer friendly version Printer friendly version | Site by ProjectA.com