City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home Facebook Twitter YouTube
advanced search | site map
HOME City Council DEPARTMENTS BOARDS & COMMISSIONS CONTACT US
Back
LINE
*
Notify me by Email
Arts Council - Minutes     
Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm by Chair, Paulette Bufano at the Mercer Island Community & Event Center.
 
Roll Call
Members Present: Paulette Bufano, Linda Iwanyk, Karen Kaser, An Tootill, Erin Vivion and Suzanne Zahniser.  Absent: Anna Gordon and Mireya Lewin
 
City Council:
Council Member Jane Meyer Brahm.
 
Staff:
Amber Britton, Staff Liaison
Eileen Hemmis Trifts
 
Appearances:
There were no appearances
 
Approval of Minutes
Suzanne Zahniser motioned to approve the regular Arts Council minutes of October 8, 2014 as presented.  The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Linda Iwanyk motioned to approve the Arts Council Retreat minutes of October 8, 2014 as presented. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously. 
 
Chair Report:
Chair, Paulette Bufano
Paulette introduced and welcomed new member, Erin Vivion, to the Arts Council.
 
Budget:  A copy of the Arts Council budget to date was distributed.  Amber reviewed it with the Arts Council.  She indicated that most line items have been paid with the exception of PR 5500 Literary (payment to Lance Rhoades has not yet been made and is not reflected). She reviewed revenue sources for the Arts Council which include Mostly Music in the Park (MMIP) sponsorships, Gallery sales and 4Culture grants.  Amber indicated MMIP revenue was about $1,000 short.  The current gallery show, MIVAL Holiday gift show ends in December, so we won’t know if we’ve met gallery revenue until it ends.  Amber stated that she did apply for a 4Culture grant in October, and should hear by the end of the year if we will be funded or not.  This grant would be for the next two years.
Amber stated that some anticipated expenditures did not materialize this year so overall the Arts Council is under budget.  Suzanne indicated that this is very helpful and asked Amber to continue to provide this information at each Arts Council meeting. 
 
The Mosaic Project at Luther Burbank Park Playground and the West Mercer Wall project are two 1% for the Arts budget items up for consideration in this budget.  Council Member Jane Brahm indicated that the City Council discussed this at the last meeting and will be approving the final budget at their December 17 meeting. 
 
Paulette requested an update on the playground mosaic project.  Suzanne Zahniser reported that she has been in contact with the artist regarding questions and concerns of the Arts Council with regard to the actual art in the proposal.  Since that time, there has been no further contact.  We are awaiting budget approval.  Once the budget is approved, the next step will be execution of a contract with the artists Sandy Glass and Jose Orantes. The art will then come to the Arts Council to provide feedback prior to proceeding.
 
Retreat follow-up. 
Paulette will ask members to call other art groups to get an idea of what they are doing as a way to come up with some new ideas.  It would also helpful to talk to with other cities to find out what worked and what didn’t work.
 
Paulette wants to put together a “to do” list of things to work on next year.
 
  • We want to evaluate our public relation programs for our core programs.
  • The budgeting process - monthly updates will help a great deal.
  • Public Relations - work with the city to improve the website and make an effort to post to neighborhood blogs and sites.
  • Put together a plan to get more members and more diversity in our membership.
  • Put together a plan to foster better relationships with Island Businesses.
  • Need a high school representative
 Opportunities that she would like to see the Arts Council concentrate on during the next year include:
 
  • Going into schools and bring art to schools (may already be programs in place - research further)
  • MIAC sponsor Fine Arts Showcase - to set up in businesses
  • Online map with trails & art. An would like to see something incorporated with the City’s Parks & Recreation site.  An will research this further.
  • The Gratitude Graffiti Project.
  • Change/Update Website
  • Public relations plan in place - structure
  • Directional signs needed to outdoor art
It was agreed that the Arts Council will prioritize this list at their next meeting and assign members to work on items
 
Literary:
Anna Gordon, Chair
Amber gave Anna’s report in her absence.
The film series is going well.  Next season will be a continuation of comedy.  She and Lance Rhoades agree there is opportunity to broaden the reach to a wider audience in the community.  Anna will be following up on it and welcomes suggestions.
Anna met with Judy Leite at Aljoya, a former Arts Council member who started the film series.  They agreed to meet so she could share her experience and ideas with Anna. Anna talked to Susan and all is quiet on the literary front, partially because this is Island Books busy season and partly because they not identified any authors to feature that are available after the first of the year.  Again suggestions are welcome.
 
Mostly Music in the Park (MMIP)
Karen Kaser, Chair
Karen reported that she prepared an ad seeking submissions from musicians to perform at Mostly Music in the Park in 2015.  Karen reported that she has prepared a timeline for the Mostly Music in the Park program.  This information will be inserted in Committee Responsibilities in the Arts Council Manual for future reference.  Suzanne suggested Art Uncorked scheduled again next year, maybe we should building a band for next year’s Art Uncorked into the timeline and budget for next year. Next year’s date is the second weekend in September.  Karen will add it to the timeline.
 
Amber stated that one of our title sponsors, Jaymarc Homes, wants to be on the 2015 MMIP selection Committee next year. Paulette suggested that Erin might want to be on the committee as well.
 
Suzanne reported that the Russian Chamber Orchestra performances should be built into the procedures that Karen is working on.  Karen and Suzanne will work together on this.  They are scheduled to perform at Luther Burbank Park on August 15.  Last year the Arts Council paid them $650 for that concert.  That isn’t enough to cover their expenses so they are asking that it be raised to $850 next year. Suzanne requested that Karen take a look at next year’s MMIP budget and let her know how much we will be able to pay them. 
 
Indoor Gallery:
Linda Iwanyk, Chair
The current gallery show is the MIVAL Holiday exhibit.  This show is ends on December 19.  Linda reviewed the upcoming gallery calendar for 2015.  Eileen will send out copies to everyone. 
 
Suzanne indicated that she intends to head up the Arts Council Juried Art show again next year.  The dates are September 14 through October 30.  Suzanne stated that she has been working with Ellen Hochberg, the Arts Council member that did the first juried art show.  She has recommended that the same judge not be used two years in a row.  Paulette stated that she can forward some possibilities to Suzanne. Suzanne will run them by Ellen Hochberg in case she has some other recommendations.
 
The first show in January will be hung on January 3.  The show runs Jan 5 - Feb 20.  There are two artists; Randy Rehn and Greg Shields.  The reception will be January 15.  Linda indicated the show will be hung on January 3.  She will send out a request for assistance. 
 
Public Art
An Tootill, Chair
An reported that she met with artist, David Haslet, to choose locations for his two sculptures in the Outdoor Gallery and to discuss installation. They determined that the best placement would be the two pads currently located near the corner of 76th and Sunset Highway. 
Subsequently, An met with Recreation Superintendent Diane Mortenson, Parks Superintendent Jason Kintner and Gallery Coordinator Eileen Trifts.  At this meeting it was determined that the pads being considered are not suitable in location or size for either of the pieces.  It was agreed that in order to install the two new sculptures it will be necessary to excavate and pour new pads. 
 
An stated that currently the artist is responsible for installation, and is given a stipend to supplement installation. An’s research indicates the $400 stipend is at the low end compared to many other cities and some other nearby cities pay for the entire installation.  An stated that she was dismayed to see the amount of equipment that is needed by the artist to do installation.  Jason advised that the city does not have any of the equipment needed available, and suggested that An work with the artist to come up with an amount that will cover the rental of the equipment, concrete for the pad and installation.  And that she bring this information to the Arts Council with a proposal asking that money be allocated for the installation.
 
Amber indicated that the Parks Crew does not currently have an amount budgeted to help with installation. However, she felt that if the Arts Council covers the cost of materials the Parks Superintendent might be willing to allocate parks manpower to do the installation. She felt it would certainly be cheaper than having it done by an outside contractor.
 
It is doubtful that there will be an installation prior to the end of the year as the concrete pads will need a minimum of 30 days to cure.  An said that the artist was advised of the delay, and he is still interested.
 
Based on this year’s budget expenditures, it was agreed that there is probably room in the overall budget to do a number of art installations next year.  Suzanne suggested costs be tracked and consideration given to re-allocating funds to that line item in the next budget process.
 
An indicated that she is planning to hold an outdoor gallery committee meeting next week.  The purpose of the meeting is to discuss artists’ concerns that she has not been able to fully address. 
 
West Mercer Wall: An reported that she is stalled with the need for a schematic drawing of the wall.  We have the measurements, but need a scale drawing both of the wall and the primary viewing area.  This is needed for WSDOT and will also be needed for the call for artists’ proposal.  Amber indicated that she is in the process of finding out if this can be done in-house. There would most likely still be a fee, but it would be less than going outside and having it done.
 
An stated that WSDOT criteria for the wall include:
 
  • It can’t be reflective.
  • No writing (exceptions would have to be approved by WSDOT)
  • If something is to be mounted on the wall, it will require a structural engineer to sign off.
  • It cannot be distracting to driver.
Community Relations:
Chair, Vacant
 
Staff Report
No Report.
  
General Business:
Next month’s meeting will be held at Paulette’s home.  A short meeting will be held with a holiday celebration to follow.  .
 
Adjournment
The meeting adjourned at 8:15 pm
 
 

City of Mercer Island Washington | All Rights Reserved © 2017| Privacy Policy | printer friendly version Printer friendly version | Site by ProjectA.com