City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home Facebook Twitter YouTube
advanced search | site map
HOME City Council DEPARTMENTS BOARDS & COMMISSIONS CONTACT US
Back
LINE
*
Notify me by Email
Arts Council - Minutes     
Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chair, An Tootill at 6:35 pm.
 
Roll Call
Members Present: An Tootill, Amy Barnes,  Joy Langley, Joy Liechty, Matt Lome, Angelina Odievich, Peter Schaefer, and Erin Vivion. Members absent: Rene Stratton, Jessica Prince, and Karen Kaser
 
City Council:  Council Member Jeff Sanderson.
 
Staff:  Kai Fulginiti, Eileen Hemmis Trifts
 
MIVAL Liaison:  Bob Still
 
Observer: Staten Metdsker, Mercer Island businessman and musician
 
Approval of Minutes:
Peter Schaefer motion to approve the February 8, 2017 regular meeting minutes as submitted.  The motion was seconded and passed.
 
Chair Report:
An Tootill, Chair
Mural UpdateAn reported that it turns out that WSDOT does want to go through a pre-approval process in order to permit putting a mural on their wall, and that the process has been started.
OG Plaque Update: An stated that it has been confirmed that every piece on the outdoor garden needs to have information on STQRY in order to have a QR code. She would like to find out if a generic QR code can be used for pieces that do not have a story beyond what is stated on the plaque.
 
COMMITTEE REPORTS
 
Mostly Music in the Park
Joy Liechty, Chair
Kai reported that she is in the process of getting contracts out to the bands.
 
MIVAL Liaison Bob Still presented three pieces of artwork for consideration for the MMIP poster and advertisements.  The three pieces (1) Letís Dance, (2) Violin!, and (3) Jazz Band were displayed and voted on.  There was a tie between (1) Letís Dance and (2) Violin!.  The MMIP Chair broke the tie with her vote for Violin!  An Tootill noted that the (2) Violin! artwork is not the original and requested that Bob return with the original artwork so that it can be scanned for reproduction.
 
Special Projects
Rene Stratton, Chair
No Report      
 
 
Community Relations
Joy Langley, Chair
Joy reported on the status of the Mercer Island Preschool Association progress on the South end playground at the playfields.  The general committee meets next week to find out what members think is most incumbent about a playground and what they would like to see at this playground. They will then coordinate back with Parks & Recreation. Joy shared images of what they have been looking at in general. There are a number of ideas on the table right now. Joy mentioned that Parks & Recreation did recommend not combining sand and water as they felt this had the potential to be problematic.  Joy thought she would have a better idea of what it might look like by next monthís meeting.
 
Joy reported that Cultural Access Washington legislation will be on the ballot again in August. She said that this would add 1/10 of a percent increase in sales tax which would result in $55 to $60 million dollars for King County for the arts.
 
Public Art
Erin Vivion, Chair
Erin spoke about Dance for Parkinsonís. Their Kirkland location is closing and they really want to be on Mercer Island. Erin reported that Diane Mortenson, Recreation Superintendent, is meeting with them at the end of the month.  She asked if the Arts Council is still interested, and are they willing to find a little bit of money in the budget to put towards the program. Kai stated that if Parks & Recreation was to make this one of their programs, they could provide the space needed at the Community Center.  They would then look for grants and any money the Arts Council is willing to appropriate to support it.  An Tootill said she will follow-up on this at the retreat in Erinís absence.
 
Erin reported that she presented the resolution for renaming the Outdoor Gallery to the Greta Hackett Outdoor Sculpture Gallery to the City Council at their last meeting, and it passed. Arts Council members and staff that attended the meeting commended Erin on her presentation.
 
An Tootill requested on update on STQRY and whether or not there is a generic STQRY.
Erin reported that they are close to having all of the outdoor gallery pieces online. They are written and just need to be sent to Kai for uploading on the site. She felt every piece should be online at STQRY as there is not a generic QR code. STQRY is able to generate a QR code for each story or piece of art that is featured on the site. Anís only concern is that additional information, beyond what is already on the plaque, be available through the QR code.
 
Gallery
Amy Barnes, Indoor Gallery Co-Chair
Amy reported that Winter Show exhibit recently closed. Seven paintings sold for a total of about $1,500 of which the cityís commission is 25%.  She thanked Angelina for assisting with hanging the current exhibit of Eliza Brown and Lisa Strong.  She invited everyone to stop by the reception tomorrow where Matt Lome will be playing the guitar as entertainment.
 
Amy said the Seattle Co Arts juried art show will be hung on April 15th and asked for volunteers to help hang.  She reported that the juror is unable to make her selection until the Monday following the hanging, so cards will not go up on the wall until Tuesday.
 
Angelina Odievich, Outdoor Gallery Co-Chair
Angelina reported that she and Kai visited the outdoor gallery and discussed which pieces need to be cleaned. If the piece is still under contract it would be nice to get the artistsí approval to have them either come and clean it or ask Parks & Recreation to do a light wash on them.
Erin Vivion pointed out that all but two of the pieces in the outdoor gallery have outlived their contracts. Angelina asked if there are some that we would like to move out and try to give new art a chance.  An felt it is time to start having artists remove some pieces and at the same time do an outreach for new pieces. Angelina said she will follow up with Kai on the contracts.  She stated that it seems like the appropriate time, with a new name and new plaques, to have some new art to show.
 
Angelina reported that she and Kai have also talked about an event to announce the outdoor galleryís new name. One idea is to hold an event in conjunction with Art Uncorked.  Kai mentioned the possibility of having the ribbon cutting ceremony during another event and hosting a booth at Art Uncorked to promote it.
 
Angelina will draft a letter to artists whose work has been in the outdoor gallery for an extended period of time to gauge their interest in remaining in the gallery covering options for removal, sale, discount pricing, donation, etc.  Kai reminded the council that they have budgeted for installation of two sculptures a year, and they should keep this in mind when planning removal and/or replacements of existing sculptures.
 
General and Ad Hoc Committees:
Renaming Parks & Recreation Department: City Councilman, Jeff Sanderson, advised the Arts Council that a recommendation to rename the Parks & Recreation Department to Parks, Arts & Recreation came before the city council at their last meeting. There was a tie vote, so it   has been carried forward to the next City Council meeting.  He stated that he voted against the change partially because it would cost $60,000 to make the change. He also felt there are some political overtones with the MICA situation.  He spoke to the fact that the Parks & Recreation Department is against the change.  He stated that he felt it appropriate to bring this information to the Arts Council for their feedback.  The Arts Council felt that Parks & Recreation is an inclusive title and did not feel a change is warranted. 
 
Staff Report: 
Kai Fulginiti
Retreat:  Kai reminded everyone that the Arts Council Retreat is on Saturday, March 18 from 8 am until noon.  She requested that everyone come with two or three ideas for the 2018 Work Plan, including budget and as many details as possible. An asked Arts Council members to also be prepared to talk about the strengths of the Arts Council as well as where you think it could use improvements or changes. She requested that Kai send out the 2017 budget prior to the retreat.
 
 
Adjournment
The meeting adjourned at 8:00 pm.
 

Download File
MIAC-AGN_03_08_2017.pdf

(57.1KB)
 
 

City of Mercer Island Washington | All Rights Reserved © 2017| Privacy Policy | printer friendly version Printer friendly version | Site by ProjectA.com