City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home Facebook Twitter YouTube
advanced search | site map
HOME City Council DEPARTMENTS BOARDS & COMMISSIONS CONTACT US
Back
LINE
*
Notify me by Email
Arts Council - Minutes     
Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chair, An Tootill at 6:35 pm.
 
Roll Call
Members Present: An Tootill, Rene Stratton, Amy Barnes, Joy Langley, Jessica Prince and Peter Schaefer. Members absent: Joy Liechty, Matt Lome, Angelina Odievich, Erin Vivion, and Karen Kaser
 
City Council:  Council Member Jeff Sanderson.
 
Staff:  Kai Fulginiti, Eileen Hemmis Trifts
 
 
Approval of Minutes:
March 8, 2017 Minutes
Peter Schaffer motioned to accept the minutes of the March 8 regular meeting as presented.  The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
 
March 18, 2017 Retreat Minutes
Jessica Prince requested that the minutes be amended to show that she was not in attendance.
Joy Langley motioned to accept the minutes of the March 18 retreat as amended.  The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
 
 
Chair Report:
An Tootill, Chair
An asked Kai if she has received the MMIP poster artwork from the MIVAL artist selected at the February meeting.  Kai reported that she has received it.
 
 
COMMITTEE REPORTS
 
Mostly Music in the Park
Joy Liechty, Chair
No Report
 
Special Projects
Rene Stratton, Chair
No Report      
 
Community Relations
Joy Langley, Chair
Joy reported that Cultural Access WA is still alive and there is still hope that it could end up on the August ballot.  She noted that King County Councilmen, Dave Uptegrove and Rob Dombrowski have taken a strong stance against it, but there is a pretty solid push from the major arts organizations.
 
Joy shared posters that member Erin Vivion found hanging on the fence in Mercerdale Park. The posters relate to concerns about MICA building plans, specifically for a fire road extension that would require an added significant paved area in the park. They were posted by Concerned Citizens for Mercer Island Parks.  It was noted the poster renderings are different than what was presented by MICA at their initial presentation to the Arts Council.  An voiced her concern about possible changes that have cropped up since the Arts Council initially pledged their support of MICA several years ago. Kai said that the MICA Interim Executive Director says that the poster is inaccurate, though she wasn’t specific about what was inaccurate.  It was agreed that the Arts Council will invite MICA to give an update at a near future meeting.
 
Public Art
Erin Vivion, Chair
No Report.
 
Gallery
Amy Barnes, Indoor Gallery Co-Chair
Amy reported that the Seattle Co-Arts 67th annual juried show will be starting hung this Saturday.  It is Amy stated that she is leaning toward letting them hang it on their own, but assistance is always appreciated.  Amy reported that the artists’ reception will be held on Saturday, April 22, 2-4 pm.  They have rented the Calkins Room for the reception.
 
Angelina Odievich, Outdoor Gallery Co-Chair
No Report.
 
Staff Report: 
Kai Fulginiti
Kai reported that the mural art plan is almost done. She spoke with WSDOT, and it looks like we will be able to put it up. It has to match with the Mountains to Sound Greenway theme.  It can still be bright, but cannot contain reflective surfaces or text.  It is being submitted as a preliminary art plan until the artist is selected. The next step will be to work on the call for artists.
 
Kai gave an update on the Cyclemates sculpture.  She reported that an art plan has been submitted and accepted by WSDOT.  The sculpture will be located on the knoll behind Aljoya, close to 24th St. SE.  It is exactly where they wanted it, so Cyclemates is happy. In response to a query from the chair, she said they have pretty much raised the money needed, and the sculpture is in the process of being created.
 
Kai stated that in May the Arts Council will want to start allocating 2018 budget for items selected for 2018 Arts Council project goals at the retreat. 
 
Kai reported, that as most members already know, An Tootill has stepped down as chair. She stated that the vote for a new chair will be pushed forward to the May meeting in hopes of having a larger member attendance.
 
Primavera and Sound Transit:
Section 4.7.2 (The 80th Avenue SE Configuration) of a SEPA Addendum to the (Sound Transit) East Link Extension was discussed. 
 
Section 4.7.2 states:
 
“The new bus stops, transit lane, and turnaround would impact the landscaped mound containing a sculpture at the east side of the Outdoor Sculpture Gallery. Sound Transit would relocate the sculpture in consultation with the City of Mercer Island”.
 
The sculpture referenced is “Primavera”.  A piece which the Arts Council considers to be an anchor for the sculpture gallery and a most important piece for the Island. 
 
Joy Langley offered to draft a letter to convey the Arts Council’s sentiments to Sound Transit. Jeff Sanderson stated that this is just 1 of 3 options for the turn-around.  He would first like to find out how close Sound Transit is to making a decision. 
 
Joy will draft the letter, and plan to bring it to next month’s meeting.   She did suggest holding off on sending it until Jeff Sanderson has had an opportunity to look into it and find out how close Sound Transit is to making a decision. 
 
Jeff said that he felt it is fair for Kai to send a question. To say that the Arts Council has reviewed this and noticed that on Exhibit 4.9 Primavera is missing. “ Is it your intent to remove this if you go with the 80th street turn-around?”
 
 
Adjournment
The meeting adjourned at 7:15 pm.
 

Download File
AGN_04-12_2017.pdf

(69KB)
 
 

City of Mercer Island Washington | All Rights Reserved © 2017| Privacy Policy | printer friendly version Printer friendly version | Site by ProjectA.com