City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home Facebook Twitter YouTube
advanced search | site map
HOME City Council DEPARTMENTS BOARDS & COMMISSIONS CONTACT US
Back
LINE
*
Notify me by Email
Arts Council - Minutes     
Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chair, An Tootill at 6:35 pm.
 
Roll Call
Members Present: An Tootill, Amy Barnes, Karen Kaser, Joy Langley, Joy Liechty, Matt Lome, Angelina Odievich, Rene Stratton and Erin Vivion
Members Absent: Jessica Prince and Peter Schaefer
 
City Council:
Council Member Jeff Sanderson was absent.
 
Staff:
Kai Fulginiti and Eileen Hemmis Trifts
 
MIVAL Liaison:
Claudia Zimmerman
 
 
Appearances:
Julie Underwood, City Manager, City of Mercer Island
Light Rail Station/I-90 Update:
An Tootill introduced City Manager, Julie Underwood, to the Arts Council. Ms. Underwood offered a brief update on who she is and where she came from prior to recently becoming Mercer Islandís City Manager. 
 
The purpose for attending tonightís meeting is to give an update on where the city is with regard to Light Rail. Manager Underwood stated that this is the City Councilís top goal and is number one on their work plan. She reported that on June 3, the I-90 Center Roadway Express Lanes are scheduled to be closed permanently so that Sound Transit can begin construction of the East Link light rail project.  As part of the upcoming changes, WSDOT plans to restrict the Island Crest Way entrance to westbound I-90 to HOVs only, also starting June 3.
 
Meanwhile, As soon as next week, Mercer Island drivers will begin to see temporary traffic improvement measures near I-90 in various locations.  These are overseen by Sound Transit to help control the flow of vehicles once light rail construction begins.
  • Most notable will be the addition of temporary traffic signals along North Mercer Way at the intersections of 76th Avenue SE and 77th Avenue SE
  • Three additional WSDOT traffic cameras will be installed to help adjust traffic flows
  • More left-turn queueing space will be striped onto Island Crest Way at North Mercer Way
  • A bus-only bypass will be striped at the 76th Avenue SE westbound on-ramp
  • WSDOT will also do some preparation work for a possible future alternating, 2-lane metered entrance at the West Mercer Way on-ramp (i.e. removing today's HOV bypass)
Manager Underwood stated that the city has sued WSDOT and Sound Transit, but they arenít getting what they wanted. The city does not have unlimited resources, and it may be time to settle.  Hopefully, a solution can be mediated that Mercer Island can live with. She said temporary short term parking is being addressed by the city right now, but long term parking is still being discussed and negotiated.
 
Arts Council members expressed their displeasure with the Sepa Amendment to the (Sound Transit) East Link Extension announcing the 80th Street configuration option for a bus turn around.  Julie suggested that a letter from the Arts Council to the City Council expressing their preference is to use the 77th Street option vs 80th Street and their reasoning behind it. She said that the Sound Transit preference is for the 80th option.
 
 
Approval of Minutes:
Joy Langley made a spelling correction to the April 2017 Regular Arts Council meeting minutes. Under Community Relations Chair report, page 1, correct the spelling for King County Council Members Dave Upthegrove and Rod Dembowski.  Joy Langley made a motion to accept minutes as amended.  The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
 
 
Chair Report:
An Tootill, Chair
An recognized Claudia Zimmerman who reported that she is the new MIVAL Liaison, taking over for Bob Still.
 
An announced an agenda change, moving the Chair Election to the top of the agenda.
 
An nominated Joy Langley for the Arts Council Chair position.  Joy accepted the nomination. There were no additional nominees or volunteers.  Joy Langley was unanimously elected by a show of hands.
 
An announced that this is Karen Kaserís last meeting as a member of the Arts Council.  Everyone expressed gratitude and gave thanks for her contributions and her legacy of the community dance.
 
 
COMMITTEE REPORTS
 
Public Art:  
Erin Vivion, Chair
 
Special Projects
Rene Stratton, Chair
 
Mostly Music in the Park
Joy Liechty, Chair
Joy reported that she would like to postpone the proposal to rename Mostly Music in the Park.
Kai reported that all but two signed MMIP band contracts have been returned.
 
Community Relations
Joy Langley, Chair
No Report.
 
Indoor Gallery
Amy Barnes, Chair
Amy reported that Harmony of Color is the next exhibit in the gallery, June 5 Ė July 21. She asked for volunteers interested in helping hang the show on the 3rd
Erin stated that she is a Northwood Elementary co-chair of the PTA Reflections Art Competition. The district Reflections team has indicated an interest in displaying student entries or award winners in the gallery.  She felt it would be nice to have some community recognition.  Amy and Erin will talk about the details, and if it seems viable, consider openings in 2018 since the gallery is booked through the end of 2017. 
 
Outdoor Gallery
Angelina Odievich
Angelina presented an image map showing the location of current sculptures and open spots in the gallery. Kai stated that Ingrid Lahti is willing and ready to install, but first Shawn Johnson will need to be contacted to see if she is okay to move her piece back to the walking path.  Ingridís sculpture can then be placed in that spot. Shawnís contract is almost up, so she can be given a choice between removing it or having us relocate her sculpture. If moved, it will need to be bolted in.  Angelina will contact Shawn Johnson to get the ball rolling.
 
General:
Angelina Odievich gave a brief update on what she has learned about the MICA posters in Mercerdale Park.  Her contact at MICA said that the fire lane depicted is only one option to a city requirement for a fire lane.  It is pretty much up in the air and not even close to being finalized.  Additionally, the mosquito pond they referenced is an underground cistern with grass growing on top of it, so not an issue. 
 
Joy Langley reported that the Cultural Access WA bill passed and should be on the ballot in August. 
 
Joy reported that MIPA will be going with a natural theme for the playground at the south end ball fields. The ground breaking is planned for August, so she should be able to bring the design to the next meeting and know if there is room for Arts Council sponsorship.
 
Joy and Erin will continue work on a draft letter stating the Arts Councilís view on the proposed downtown bus turn-around as discussed at previously. They will bring it to the next meeting for review. 
 
Staff Report: 
Kai Fulginiti
Kai reported on upcoming improvements to the Arts Council web presence. The left link has moved from being a sub-link under Parks & Recreation to being a stand-alone button link at the top left on the Parks & Recreation home page. Hopefully, this will make it easier to find the Arts Council and their programs on the website.
 
Kai reported that a pre art plan for the West Mercer Mural was submitted to WSDOT for their review, and it sounds like it shouldnít be an issue with it.  A Call for Artists will be going out later this month. An and Kai will be working on assembling a selection committee in accordance with the bylaws.
 
 
Adjournment
The meeting adjourned at 7:56 pm.
 

Download File
AGN_05_10_2017.pdf

(68.7KB)
 
 

City of Mercer Island Washington | All Rights Reserved © 2017| Privacy Policy | printer friendly version Printer friendly version | Site by ProjectA.com