Action Item #1:
The applicant, Neon Sign Systems, is requesting design review and approval for the installation of an internally lit sign for Curves for Women located at 8435 SE 36th Street, #100 in the Planned Business Zone (DSR02-018).
John Scandola, Associate Planner, summarized the staff report for the proposed new sign. Staff recommended approval of the sign as described in the staff report.
Nick Clay, 2021 130th Avenue NE, Bellevue, WA 98005, of Neon Sign Systems represented the applicant and presented the sign proposal.
Vice-Chairman Sandler opened the public hearing; there were no comments so the public hearing was closed.
The Design Commission discussed a number of issues regarding the characteristics of the sign. Such issues included the size of the sign, the scale of the lettering, the colors of the sign, its scale compared to adjacent identification signs, and how to attach the sign to the retail frontage if its size is reduced.
The Commission concluded that the size of the sign should be reduced from 13 square feet to 9 square feet. The s of the sign shall be bolted to the center column along the retail frontage and the C shall be attached to the upper, horizontal beam away from the column on the west corner of the frontage. A bracket shall be attached to the sign cabinet and the column on the west corner of the frontage in order to properly support the sign. The Commission concluded the colors as presented were acceptable.
Commissioner Wittman moved, seconded by Commissioner Dawson, to continue the design review for the proposed Curves for Women sign (DSR02-018) to the June 26, 2002 Design Commission meeting. The Commission requested that the applicant shall return with a new sign proposal that incorporates the following characteristics:
- Reduce the height of the sign from 2 to 18 and the width from 66 to 55. The new sign will be approximately 9 square feet in size.
- The sign shall be attached to the upper beam and middle column along the retail frontage.
- The s of the sign shall be bolted to the center column and the C shall be attached to the upper, horizontal beam away from the column on the west corner of the retail frontage.
- A bracket shall be attached to the sign cabinet and the column on the west corner of the frontage in order to support the weight of the sign.
- The bracket should be as inconspicuous as possible.
- This submission should include the measurement from the bottom of the sign to the ground and samples of the sign material.
The motion passed by a vote of 5-0.
Council Liaison Report:
Next Regular Meeting:
June 26, 2002.
All members indicated they could make the next meeting.
[Important Note: The proceedings of the Design Commission meeting
were recorded on tape and are on file with the Development Services Group.
agenda and official minutes of this meeting are also available from the
Development Services Group.]