Spring 2016 Recycling Event & Compost Bin / Rain Barrel Sale: April 9
Mar 9, 2016 - Safely dispose of the old equipment and household items that are cluttering your basement or garage at the annual Mercer Island Fall Recycling Event on Saturday, April 9, 2016 from 9:00am to 3:00pm at the Mercer Island Boat Launch (3600 East Mercer Way).
This year, residents can also pick up a rain barrel and/or compost bin at a highly discounted rate (just $25), to use in water conservation projects around the garden. Unlike previous years, these are available at the Boat Launch location, NOT City Hall.
[Please bring along non-perishable food items or cash donation to the event and support the City's Food Pantry!]
Click here to download the complete event flyer.
You can bring:
- Alkaline, rechargeable, and cellphone batteries
- Appliances/scrap metal ($5 for water heaters)
- Cardboard (please flatten)
- Confidential document shredding (limit 5 file-size boxes per participant)
- Electronic/computer equipment (DVD players, VCRs, stereo equipment, printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners, cellular phones and computer peripherals such as keyboards and mice)
- Household goods and clothing (items in good condition only)
- Lead acid batteries
- Mattresses, clean only ($15/mattress/box spring/futon cash only)
- Motor oil, filters and antifreeze
- Porcelain toilets and sinks ($15 cash only)
- Propane tanks, 5-gallon size ($5 cash only)
- Refrigerators/freezers/air conditioners ($25-35 cash only)
- Styrofoam blocks and packing peanuts in bags (must be clean and dry)
- Tires (limit 6 tires per household; fee for oversize, or on-rim)
- Clean scrap wood, not treated or painted (milled lumber, plywood and pallets)
Please DO NOT bring these items:
- Computer monitors and televisions (see E-Cycle information below)
- Construction/demolition debris
- Yard waste or stumps
- Plastic toys, hoses, etc.
- Window glass
- Cleaning products
- Fluorescent lights
- Household chemicals
- Paint (New Rules For Latex Paint: Latex paint is no longer considered hazardous waste and the household hazardous waste facilities in King County (the Wastemobile and Factoria) no longer accept it. Residents who cannot use up latex paint, please dry it out and put it in the garbage with the lid off. Visit the King County website for more information on how to dry out latex paint.)
- Oil based paint/solvents
- Solvents and thinners
Mercer Island recycling events happen twice per year (usually April and October) and are provided for the convenience of Mercer Island citizens as a service of the City of Mercer Island. For more information, call 206-275-7608.
The City of Mercer Island is committed to waste reduction and other sustainable practices for a healthy environment. Please visit www.mercergov.org/sustainability for more information.
E-Cycle Washington is now on Mercer Island!
Mercer Island now has a FREE E-Cycle Washington location for recycling of computers, computer monitors, laptops, DVD players, and televisions.
LOCATION: 7835 SE 30th Street, Mercer Island, WA 98040
HOURS: 10:00am-6:00pm M-F, and 11:00am-5:00pm Saturday