High Winds and Heavy Rain Forecasted Saturday Night into Sunday Morning
October 14, 12:00 pm -- The National Weather Service is forecasting High Winds with gusts up to 55 MPH hour possible Saturday evening through Sunday early morning.
The City of Mercer Island staff are preparing for severe weather and storm conditions. Extra crews are on standby to respond as needed over the weekend. Emergency response personnel are monitoring the storm closely and will put out updated messages as needed.
You can take steps to plan ahead for potential severe weather:
For further updates, please monitor Facebook, Twitter, or the City's website.
Stay Out of City Parks and Green Spaces During Storm
The City is advising citizens to stay away from large trees in parks, opens spaces, and trails during the upcoming storm. With the saturated ground and high winds, trees and branches may fall causing serious damage. See the City of Seattle’s warning to stay out of parks during the storm. In addition, Island Crest Park fields and all other grass fields are closed on Friday and Sunday to prevent damage (IMS turf field is open). Parks staff will assess grass field conditions on Saturday morning.
What you can do to help before and during the storm:
- Clear City storm drains near your home of leaves and debris to help prevent flooding. City crews cannot get to all the storm drains, and most street flooding is caused by clogged storm drain grates.
- Secure loose outdoor belongings or garden décor and pull in garbage cans from the street.
- When driving, if the power is out and traffic signals are not working, treat the intersection as a four-way stop.
- If a street is flooded, do not attempt to drive through standing water.
- Keep clear of fallen utility lines – do not drive around barricades, they are there for a reason.
- Do not drive over fallen lines and stay in your vehicle if a power line falls on your car – if you have to get out of your vehicle do not touch your vehicle while stepping on ground.
- If you don’t have electricity prevent poisoning from carbon monoxide by: 1) only using generators outside away from doors, windows and vents – never indoors and 2) never cook inside with charcoal or gas grills and don’t try and heat your home with your gas stove.