I-90 Bridge Seafair Air Show Daytime Closures, 2018
July 23, 2018 - The Washington State Department of Transportation is required by the Federal Aviation Administration to close the Interstate 90 floating bridge to drivers, cyclists and pedestrians while the Blue Angels practice for and perform at the Seafair Air Show. The closures are to keep the public and pilots safe and to minimize distractions.
Exactly where and when will I-90 be closed in 2018?
The mainlines of I-90 will be closed in both direction between I-5 in Seattle to Island Crest Way on Mercer Island:
Mercer Island Ramp closures:
- Thursday, Aug. 2: 9:45am-12:15pm; 1:00-2:45pm (Practice)
- Friday, Aug. 3: 12:55pm-2:45pm (Seafair Air Show)
- Saturday, Aug. 4: 12:55pm-2:45pm (Seafair Air Show)
- Sunday, Aug. 5: 12:55pm-2:45pm (Seafair Air Show)
- Eastbound I-90 to West Mercer Way (up to 30 minutes prior)
- East Mercer Way to westbound I-90 (up to 60 minutes prior)
- Island Crest Way to westbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- 76th Avenue to westbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- West Mercer Way to westbound I-90 (up to 90 minutes prior)
NOTE: WSDOT will use overhead variable message signs on I-5 and I-90 to countdown to the closures. They will also use social media such as Twitter to alert travelers. They strongly advise motorists to plan alternate routes in advance. Please do not expect to cross the bridge at the last minute. Congestion and unexpected delays on the roadway may leave you in your car sitting in traffic waiting out the performance.
Learn more from the City's Seafair traffic impacts page