2016 VOICE/SVP Program Dates and Information
March 9 - April 13: VOICE/SVP Paid Summer Position Application Open
- Online at www.govjobstoday.com - these paid positions are only open to applicants that are 18+ as of 6/27/16 and a high school graduate/GED with one year of college experience or equivalent.
NEW March 16 - April 20: VOICE/SVP Youth Development Internship Application Open
- Online at www.mercergov.org/voice - these paid internships are only open to applicants that are 18+ as of 6/27/16 and a graduating senior with at least one year VOICE/SVP experience. See FAQ below for more information.
March 16: VOICE/SVP Registration Opens at 10:00am
- Online at www.mercergov.org/voice
April 27: VOICE/SVP Registration Closes at 5:00pm - Extended to May 18th!
May 4: New Volunteer Meeting
- 7:00pm - 8:00pm at the Mercer Island Community and Event Center
May 18: All Forms Due & Refund Deadline
- Due by 5:00 pm at Mercer Island Youth and Family Services, 2040 84th Avenue SE, Mercer Island 98040
May 27: Shiftboard Calendar Opens
- Calendar will be available at 10:00 am. Online at www.shiftboard.com/voice. Additional information will be sent to registered participants.
June 24: VOICE Orientation
- 4:00pm - 6:30pm at the Mercer Island Community and Event Center
June 25: SVP Orientation
- 8:45am - 3:30pm at Mercer Island Youth and Family Services, 2040 84th Avenue SE
June 27: First Day of VOICE/SVP Program
August 19: Last Day of VOICE/SVP Program
August 22: All-Star Celebration
- 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm, by invitation. See the Frequently Asked Questions below for more information on ‘All Stars’
August 23: VOICE/SVP Recognition Event!
- 6pm - 7pm at Mercer Island Community and Event Center
If you would like to be on our mailing list for this year's program, please email Tambi Cork, Youth Development Coordinator, at email@example.com.
More information can also be found in our Frequently Asked Questions listed below.
King County Nonprofits: Looking for Volunteer Groups for Your Organization?
VOICE/SVP Hiring for Summer Youth Volunteer Program Assistants (Project Leaders)
Youth Volunteer Program Assistants will assist the VOICE Coordinator in developing and carrying out volunteer projects with over 60 different non-profit agencies in King County. This position requires previous experience with social justice education and hands-on community service, a flexible schedule, good communication skills with young people and an interest in working with youth. This position is a temporary part- to full-time position lasting from mid-June until mid-August; staff must be available to work during this time. Youth Volunteer Program Assistants will be responsible for transporting youth to project sites, working alongside the youth in various capacities and leading debriefing conversations. The work is 75% in the field, the remaining 25% is preparing for projects and light paperwork. Youth Volunteer Program Assistants will help organize an orientation for the youth volunteers as well as a recognition ceremony at the close of the Program. Previous volunteer or youth experience is a plus. Must be 18+ as of June 27 and a high school graduate/GED with one year of college experience or equivalent.
* 2016: Mandatory Employee Training will be held June 20 - June 25 *
TO APPLY : Visit: https://apply.govjobstoday.com/ and click on City of Mercer Island to apply online for this position. The application will be available from March 9 - April 13, 2016.
Please click on the following link for more information, and to request a volunteer group:
Frequently Asked Question
Click on the link above for more information on the following:
What is the difference between VOICE and SVP? Who can participate in these programs?
What is the time commitment? Do I need to be available all eight weeks?
What is the cost? Why pay to volunteer?
How do I register for VOICE/SVP?
What’s this I hear about a ‘lottery’? Is there a chance my child will not have a spot in the program?
I’ve registered and paid online – what are the next steps?
How do I sign up for projects?
What if I don't know my Shiftboard password?
What do I do if my Shiftboard calendar is blank after the calendar opens in May?
Can I see the calendar before May 22?
What nonprofits does VOICE/SVP partner with?
Where do projects meet?
Can volunteers drive themselves, or be dropped of at, projects that take place off-Island?
My child wants to volunteer with their friends – how do I find out who is on the projects?
What is the Social Justice Film Festival? Is it required?
What is an 'All Star'?
Do you have any job openings?
We signed up, but can no longer participate. What is the refund process and policy?
Is there a way to document my hours volunteered with VOICE/SVP?
What is a P-Lit? How are they chosen, and how competitive is the application?