Lightning Injury Prevention
Though Mercer Island Firefighters rarely respond to injuries as a result of lightning, we often are asked about safe practices when lightning occurs.
· Avoid using the telephones or other electrical appliances
· Do not take a bath or shower
· Seek shelter inside a sturdy building or a hard top automobile with the windows up
· If you are boating or swimming, get out of the water immediately and move to a safe shelter away from the water
· If you are in a wooded area, seek shelter under a thick growth of relatively small trees
· Avoid isolated trees or other tall objects, bodies of water, sheds, fences, convertible automobiles, tractors and motorcycles
· If you feel your hair standing on end, squat down with your head between your knees. Do not lie flat!