Ten Things You Can Do To Save Energy!
1. Reduce your heater temperature by 2 to 4 degrees.
Energy Star information about heating and cooling
2. Buy (and install) a programmable thermostat.
EPA information about programmable thermostats
3. Replace incandescent bulbs with more energy-efficient bulbs.
Energy Star information about energy efficient lighting
PSE lighting rebate and recycling programs
4. Get an energy audit including a blower door test.
US Dept. of Energy information on home energy audits
5. Fully weatherize your home.
EPA information on weatherizing and sealing your home
6. Fully insulate your walls, ceiling, floor and crawl spaces.
Department of Energy information about insulation
How much insulation do you need?
PSE insulation rebate program
Energy Star information about sealing and insulating heating ducts
7. Turn down the temperature on your water heater to 120-125 Fahrenheit.
Department of Energy information about hot water temperature
8. Insulate around pipes.
Department of Energy information about insulating hot water pipes
9. Install low flow kitchen and bathroom fixtures.
Department of Energy information on reducing hot water use
PSE low flow showerhead program
10. If appliances need to be replaced, buy products with the Energy Star label.
More information on Energy Star rated products