Requesting Public Records
The Public Records Request Form is available:
- At Mercer Island City Hall, 9611 SE 36th Street, Mercer Island; or
- By clicking here to download the form
Below are highlights from the City of Mercer Island Public Records Act Rules of Procedure. Click here to view the entire text of the Rules of Procedure.
For assistance, or to make requests by letter, email, or phone, contact:
City Clerk/Public Records Officer
Allison (Ali) Spietz
9611 SE 36th Street
Mercer Island, WA 98040
To make requests for Police or Fire Department records contact:
City of Mercer Island
9611 SE 36th Street
Mercer Island, Washington 98040
Police or Fire Records Request Online Form
Public Records Requests should include:
- Name and address and contact information for requestor.
- Description of public records adequate to locate the records.
- Date of request.
You will receive a response within five business days.
Local governments are not required to create documents to comply with a request for specific information. Rather, they must produce existing records for review and copying. Also, local governments are not obligated to compile information from various records so that information is in a form that is more useful to the requestor.
Many public records are currently available on the City’s web site at no cost. Examples include Comprehensive Plan, critical areas and shoreline updates, Budget, City Council meetings (current and past), Mercer Island City Code, and other reports.
The Public Records Officer will make records available for inspection and copying by appointment during normal business hours, excluding legal holidays. Requestors will not remove documents from the viewing area or disassemble or alter any document.
The requestor will indicate which documents he or she wishes the City to copy.
Cost for Public Records
- There is no fee for inspecting public records
- Black & white copies $.15 per page
- Mailing actual cost of postage and shipping container
- Other media actual cost of reproduction (color, electronic and/or information provided on a disk or CD-ROM)
Payments by cash, check, or money order payable to “City of Mercer Island.”
For large requests, the City may:
- Require a deposit of up to ten percent of estimated cost before making copies
- Provide copies in installments
- Require advance payment before providing further installments.
Role of Public Records Officer
- Oversee compliance with the Public Records Act
- Administer program consistent with the City of Mercer Island Public Records Act Rules of Procedure
- Provide the “fullest assistance” to requestors
- Coordinate response to requests with departments and offices
- Provide most timely possible & efficient action on requests
- Protect public records from damage or disorganization
There is no single index of City records. The City of Mercer Island has determined by formal order that maintaining a central index of City records is unduly burdensome, costly, and would interfere with City operations due to the number and complexity of records generated as a result of the wide range of City activities.
Response to Records Requests
Within five business days of receipt of the request, the Public Records Officer or designee will do one of the following:
- Make the records available for inspection or copying.
- Send copies to requestor if payment has been received.
- Provide a reasonable estimate when records will be available.
- Contact requestor to request clarification.
- Deny the request citing reason for denial.
If a requestor does not receive a response within five days, he or she should contact the Public Records Officer to determine the reason.
Some Records Exempt from Disclosure
The Public Records Act, RCW 42.56, provides that a number of document types and information are prohibited from being disclosed or are exempt from public inspection and copying (see WA State Attorney General's exemption list). In addition, there are other statutes not listed in Chapter 42.56 RCW which may exempt or prohibit disclosure of certain documents [see exemption list outside RCW 42.56 (Appendix C to “Public Records Act for Washington Cities, Counties, and Special Purpose Districts,” Municipal Research and Services Center, March 2016, and as amended)].
The City of Mercer Island will not disclose lists of individuals for commercial purposes [RCW 42.56.070(9)].
If only a portion of a record is exempt from disclosure, the Public Records Officer or designee will redact the exempt portions before providing the document.
If a requestor has not reviewed or claimed records within thirty days of notice that records are available or fails to make payment, the Public Records Officer may close the request.
If requested records contain information that may affect rights of others, before providing the records, the Public Records Officer or designee may give notice and allow time for action by the other parties.
After a request has been filled and the Public Records Officer becomes aware of additional documents existing at the time of the request, these will be provided to the requestor on an expedited basis.
Records Request Form.pdf
||Please describe the records you are requesting and any additional information that will help us locate them for you, e.g. dates, etc.
The above document(s) are Adobe® Acrobat® PDF files and may be viewed using the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™. Most newer web browsers already contain the Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™ plug-in. However, if you need it, click on the "Get Acrobat® Reader™" icon to download it now.