I-90 Bridge Seafair Air Show Closures - 2018
The Washington State Department of Transportation is required by the Federal Aviation Administration to close the Interstate 90 floating bridge to drivers, cyclists and pedestrians while the Blue Angels practice for and perform at the Seafair Air Show. The closures are to keep the public and pilots safe and to minimize distractions.
|Click for airshow schedule|
Exactly where and when will I-90 be closed?
The mainlines of I-90 will be closed in both direction between I-5 in Seattle to Island Crest Way on Mercer Island:
- Thursday, Aug. 2: 9:45am-12:15pm; 1:00-2:45pm (Practice)
- Friday, Aug. 3: 12:55pm-2:45pm (Seafair Air Show)
- Saturday, Aug. 4: 12:55pm-2:45pm (Seafair Air Show)
- Sunday, Aug. 5: 12:55pm-2:45pm (Seafair Air Show)
* The bridge highrises will still be accessible to pedestrians and cyclists. However, no one on foot or bike can travel beyond the highrises up to 30 minutes prior to posted closure times.
* I-90 east of Mercer Island will NOT be closed during the performance, although drivers should note that heavy congestion during these closures often restricts access to the exits.
Which ramps will be closed?
Several I-90 and I-5 ramps will close 30-90 minutes before practice and Seafair Air Show times:
Mercer Island Ramps:
- Northbound I-5 to eastbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- Southbound I-5 to eastbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- Northbound Rainier Avenue South to eastbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- Southbound Rainier Avenue South to eastbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- Eastbound I-90 to West Mercer Way (up to 30 minutes prior)
- East Mercer Way to westbound I-90 (up to 60 minutes prior)
- Island Crest Way to westbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- 76th Avenue to westbound I-90 (up to 30 minutes prior)
- West Mercer Way to westbound I-90 (up to 90 minutes prior)
Will the State Route 520 floating bridge be affected?
The SR 520 floating bridge will remain open to traffic and tolls will be collected according to the rate schedule. Infrequent users of the SR 520 bridge may want to consider setting up a short-term Good To Go! account for Seafair weekend. Drivers crossing SR 520 should expect heavy traffic, significant delays and plan for additional time to cross the lake.
NOTE: WSDOT will use overhead variable message signs on I-5 and I-90 to countdown to the closures. They will also use social media such as Twitter to alert travelers. They strongly advise motorists to plan alternate routes in advance. Please do not expect to cross the bridge at the last minute. Congestion and unexpected delays on the roadway may leave you in your car sitting in traffic waiting out the performance.
I live on Mercer Island, how will I be affected?
Drivers who need to get around Mercer Island should follow signs for detour routes. Most roads will be open for local access only. Mercer Island residents are encouraged to travel off or on the Island one hour prior to and following the bridge closures to avoid traffic backups.
What rules apply for parking?
Per City code (MICC 10.36.226) parked vehicles must be at least 8 feet away from the centerline of the roadway.
What if I have a medical emergency and I need to get to Harborview Medical Center or Children’s Hospital?
Emergency vehicles will have access to the I-90 center roadway if needed (despite light rail construction)
Where can I get more information?