Checklist for Inspiration: Planning a Corporate Seminar
by Bre Caldwell
A seminar is an event presentation that uses an egalitarian approach to teaching. While many presentations encourage passive observance, a seminarís key to success is group participation. For the most part, the usually implicit corporate ranking tools companies apply to one another takes a seat on the back burner. The college intern, for instance, is just as encouraged to give his/her opinion as the boss. All levels of corporate teams interact on equal ground.
Creating a successful corporate seminar can be a challenge, not only as a corporate event, but also because of the higher level of communication and participation required.
What is the purpose of your seminar?
Before moving forward and planning your seminar, take the time to ask yourself the following questions:
- What is the topic?
- Who is your target audience?
- What is the size of your target audience?
- Why do people want to attend? What is the benefit for your participants?
- What is your desired outcome?
Itís all in the details.
Create an event profile. This is a document that contains ďall the detailsĒ such as:
- Host contact information
- Vendor contact information
- Event rental contact information
- Participant profile
- Technical media requirements
- Functionality of room (set-up needs)
- Hotel accommodations for out-of-town participants
Seminar and Event Room Rental
The environment of your workshop will rely heavily upon your choice of a corporate venue rental. Things to consider when choosing your event venue include:
- Room size. Estimate how many participants will attend your seminar. Choose a venue that provides ample space.
- Catering. Confirm whether or not your room rental or banquet rental has catering restrictions, a catering kitchen, etc.
- Research your room rental accommodations. Will the event venue include tables, chairs, projectors, white boards, chalkboards or easels available for use?
- Does the event venue provide set-up and take-down options?
- Review facility rental media capabilities.
- Is the event venue rental location easy to locate and park at?
Set a seminar agenda
Your agenda serves as a timeline of events. Preparing this early in your planning is critical because various sub-events within your seminar will require particular attention/preparation, and your needs may change. Thinking about this ahead of time will give you time to hone in on the important aspects, and trim off the not-so-necessary parts.
Marketing and seminar collateral
Think about the following materials and what your seminar will require in relation to these:
- Seminar invitations to colleagues with seminar agenda information
- Advertise seminar in industry magazines/newspaper/business journals
- Online: Advertise seminar on social marketing sites
- Create and order seminar displays and signage
- Participant name badges
Day of preparation
- About one week before your seminar, contact the event venue to confirm rental details. Follow up the day before.
- Follow up with your caterer and/or rental supplies provider 48 hours before your seminar to confirm details.
- If you are teaching a seminar through continuing education or another company, contact them at this time as well. They will provide you with an estimated class count to ensure that you bring enough materials for all participants.
- Make sure the presenters are fully prepared, and confirm the time necessary for their presentation(s). Oftentimes, presenters change components of their slides shortly before a presentation, adding in or taking out time.
The Mercer Island Community & Event Center is an ideal venue for large or small event room rentals in the Seattle area.
With four mid-sized breakout rooms right next to one another, a large banquet room, catering kitchen, and six miles of surrounding park, this facility provides the flexibility and space that is perfect for full-day or multi-day interactive events corporate seminars.
For more information or a personal tour, please contact:
Phone: (206) 275-7840
Mercer Island Community & Event Center
8236 SE 24th Street
Mercer Island, WA 98040