Neighborhood Preparedness - Map Your Neighborhood
What is Map Your Neighborhood (MYN)?
Map Your Neighborhood (MYN) is a program offered through the City of Mercer Island that helps Mercer Island neighborhoods prepare for disasters.
How Does MYN Work?
Neighbors, usually about 15 to 25 households in your area, get together for a neighborhood party where you:
- Get to know your neighbors!
- Learn the nine steps to follow immediately following a disaster.
- Identify the skills and equipment each neighbor has that could be useful in a disaster response.
- Identify the locations of each natural gas meter and propane tank, as well as households that may need extra help.
- Pick locations for a neighborhood gathering site and neighborhood care center.
I'd Like to Host. What’s Next?
It’s easy! The Mercer Island MYN program provides free trainers, who can come to your neighborhood party and facilitate 90-minute training.
As your neighborhood’s “organizer,” we ask that you plan the party, invite your neighbors and spread the word about preparing for a disaster.
Browse through our step-by-step guide, as well as tips to help increase your neighborhood’s participation.
There's Much More
City staff and resources may be quickly overwhelmed after a catastrophe. The City has established a corps of trained volunteers to aid in disaster response until outside help can arrive. Our Community Emergency Response Training (C.E.R.T.) provides extensive information that will also assist a resident at home. The free course is open to all.
Want to Get More Involved?
Click here to learn more.
Contact Emergency Manager Jennifer Franklin at 206-275-7905 or firstname.lastname@example.org.