Giving Back Today
Volunteer Today - Here are some of our opportunities -
Have you been seeking ways to put your skills and expertise to good use? There are many opportunities to volunteer with Youth and Family Services. Take a look and let us help you get connected with the Youth & Family Services community.
Make a financial contribution or planned giving which may, if you wish, be directed toward a specific service or program. Contributions may be made in several ways:
The Mercer Island Thrift Shop has volunteers of all ages in each aspect of the retail operation - from sorting, pricing and displaying donated items to cashiering and marketing. Volunteer opportunities are available Monday through Saturday. Contact: Logan Ens (206) 275-7766.
Front Desk at Luther Burbank Office Building
The front desk in our office building in Luther Burbank Park is a busy place. We are seeking volunteers who enjoy interacting with people both on the phone and in person. Our volunteers check in guests, provide general Island and Park information and answer questions about programs and services. Our volunteers also assist with special events, help with our Food Pantry and provide assistance to our MIYFS staff members. We would enjoy welcoming you to our front desk volunteer group.
Contact, Kim Richards, (206)275-7754.
Food donations are regularly received in our Luther Burbank office for our Food Pantry. These donations are then reviewed for expiration dates, placed in our Pantry or in our backstock cabinets. Whether you like to organize food onto our shelves, organize our backstock or pick up from our Island locations, we can benefit from your volunteering assistance. Contact, Kim Richards, (206)275-7754.
Assist during one of the department fundraisers held throughout the year. Past events have included breakfast fundraisers and annual fund drives. Help is needed at event registration and working on event committees. Contact: Sari Weiss (206) 275-7756.
Contribute Financially with Your Dollars or Tangible Donations
Mercer Island Youth & Family Services is supported through a unique partnership of public and private resources. Each year, MIYFS must raise more than half of its operating budget from sources other than the City of Mercer Island’s general fund. Community contributions, contracts for services and revenue generated by the Mercer Island Thrift Shop (M.I.T.S.) are the three major types of non-City support that make our services possible. Individuals, families and groups can provide direct and indirect support to MIYFS in many ways. Please contact us if you have any questions or would like more specific information about any of the following:
- Directly to MIYFS. MIYFS is a department of the City of Mercer Island and contributions are tax deductible under provisions of the Internal Revenue Code. Donations can be sent to MIYFS, 2040-84th Ave SE, Mercer Island WA 98040.
- To the MIYFS Foundation – The Foundation is a separately organized, federal tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization whose sole purpose is to raise funds that support the services of MIYFS. Contributions to the MIYFS Foundation may be unrestricted or restricted in their use, for immediate use or to help build endowment funds, and in various forms (cash, securities, etc.). Please visit the Foundation's site at www.miyfs.org.
- Respond to the MIYFS Foundation's Annual fund drives to support MIYFS' services. In the fall, requests for support are sent to all Mercer Island residents. Another fund drive directly supporting the MIYFS Counselors in all Mercer island public schools takes place in the spring.
- Through planned giving in your estate will.
Donations to the MIYFS Foundation may be designated through United Way or other workplace campaigns. Employers may also offer matching gifts for qualifying employee contributions.
Contribute through your workplace giving program.
Shop at and donate items to the Mercer Island Thrift Shop.
- Donation Hours: Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Retail Shopping Hours: Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Donate a vehicle. The Mercer Island Thrift Shop accepts vehicle donations. These revenues support the programs and services of Youth & Family Services.
- The vehicle donation process is simple - just call (855) 500-7433. Our group will pick up your vehicle at no cost to you whether the vehicle or running or not. Once the vehicle has been auctioned, you can deduct that value from your income taxes.
Support services for low-income Island families and individuals who need help with basic needs. Contact the Family Assistance and Employment Coordinator, (206) 275-7869 or Cheryl Manriquez for more information.
- Make a contribution to the Emergency Assistance Fund. The Fund helps meet basic needs for Island families. The Fund is underwritten by community contributions.
- Donate food to the MIYFS Food Pantry.
- Sponsor a family during the holidays.