Power Outages and Windstorms
Shortcut to this page: www.mercergov.org/Windstorms
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, never burn charcoal or use gasoline-powered equipment indoors. Itís also advised to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
Puget Sound Energy customers can call an automated phone system at 1-888-225-5773 to report power outages and hear about service updates.
Reporting an Outage
Information is also available on PSE's website, which has an outage map with repair estimates.
Please do not call 911 for non-emergency questions, such as power outage duration or reasons for the outage.
Report trees blocking the City Right-of-Way by calling the Public Works Dept at: (206) 275-7608
In case a winter storm does hit, residents are urged to:
- Have personal supplies, including coats, hats, gloves and blankets ready to help you stay warm.
- Stay away from downed power lines and sagging trees with broken limbs.
- Keep vehicles full of gas.
- Charge cell phones ahead of time.
- Check on your neighbors, especially the elderly or disabled.
In addition, make sure to have an emergency preparedness kit in your home that includes:
- A battery-powered radio, along with extra batteries, that can tune in to AM 710 KIRO, AM KOMO 1000 and Mercer Island Radio Station FM 88.9 or FM 94.5
- Battery-operated flashlights
- A corded phone (cordless phones will not work when the power is out)
- Food and water that will last your family for several days
During emergencies, the City of Mercer Island will keep its citizens informed through:
Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | How to Stay Safe