To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, never burn charcoal or use gasoline-powered equipment indoors. Itís also advised to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
Puget Sound Energy customers can call an automated phone system at 1-888-225-5773 to report power outages and hear about service updates.
Reporting an Outage
Information may also be available on PSE's website, which has an outage map with repair estimates.
Please do not call 911 for non-emergency questions, such as power outage duration or reasons for the outage.
In case a winter storm does hit, residents are urged to:
- Have personal supplies, including coats, hats, gloves and blankets ready to help you stay warm.
- Stay away from downed power lines and sagging trees with broken limbs.
- Keep vehicles full of gas.
- Check on your neighbors, especially the elderly or disabled.
In addition, make sure to have an emergency preparedness kit in your home that includes:
- A battery-powered radio, along with extra batteries, that can tune in to AM 710 KIRO, AM KOMO 1000 and Mercer Island Radio Station FM 88.9 or FM 94.5
- Battery-operated flashlights
- A corded phone (cordless phones will not work when the power is out)
- Food and water that will last your family for several days
During emergencies, the City of Mercer Island will keep its citizens informed through:
- Radio on AM 710 KIRO, AM KOMO 1000 and Mercer Island Radio Station FM 88.9 or FM 94.5
- Information phone line - call 206-275-7600
- Social Media
- TV channel MI-TV 21
Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | How to Stay Safe