A Community Employment Service Connecting Job Seekers and Employers
MIYFS maintains three job boards strategically located in the community and one online board on which we post available jobs. Job seekers can review all available jobs and make a direct connection with the employer. The types of available jobs vary, with the highest number of jobs in the areas of housekeeping, clerical, yard work and child care. Jobs may be part-time, full-time, on-call or temporary. Jobs may be in homes or businesses, depending on the nature of the job, and the majority is on Mercer Island.
How to Post a Job with Joblink:
- Fill out an online form (click here). Once you are finished, it will be automatically emailed to the Joblink staff. They will post your job online and on the job boards as soon as possible. (For job board locations, see below).
- You can also pick up a job form at MIYFS or call (206) 275-7611 to request a form. We can mail, fax, or email you one right away. Completely fill out the form including phone numbers, dates etc. Jobs are normally posted for one month. Please be as specific as possible regarding schedules and hourly rates. Return form to MIYFS office in-person, by mail (mailing address located near bottom of the page), or fax to (206) 275-7890. Joblink staff will prepare a job announcement for posting and add a pull date. If the job has not been filled by the pull date, you may request that we repost your job. The boards are updated on a regular basis.
- Another way you can get a job posted is by simply calling our Joblink voicemail at (206) 275-7764. Leave a detailed message with your name, phone number, a job description, the wage you will pay, when you want the job done (allow a reasonable time between the message and the date you need the job done; time is needed to process the job posting and for potential employees to look at the job on the boards), the schedule they will be working, and any other information that you feel is valuable. The rest of the process is the same as the two options above.
When a job has been filled, please contact MIYFS to have your job posting removed from the boards and the website at (206) 275-7764. Otherwise, you will continue to receive calls from people wishing to fill your job.
- Establishing Identity:
First, establish the identity of the individual. Ask for a picture ID. Ask to see their original Social Security Card. You can also ask your potential employee for local area references. It’s always beneficial to double check the name and address in the phone book before calling.
- Conducting Criminal Background Check:
If you wish to screen the individual for a criminal background, go to the Washington State Patrol website: http://watch.wsp.wa.gov Enter the applicant’s name, date of birth, and social security number (S.S. # optional). There is a $10.00 processing fee. You will then receive a copy of any criminal convictions in the State of Washington. (Any arrests without convictions will not appear nor will any convictions from out of state or out of the country). This service works for both adolescents and adults.
Please Note: Screening, interviewing, and hiring of workers is entirely between you and the potential employee, as is the payment and any tax liabilities. Click here to view an informational brochure or call (206)275-7869 to have one mailed to you.
How to Respond to a Job Posting
If you are interested in a job, follow the steps below to contact employers:
It is your responsibility to show up and complete any job you accept. Make sure you are abiding by all state and federal laws that govern the work of minors. For information, call (206) 275-7869 or click here for a brochure ("Teens at Work").
- Please copy the contact information and job description (do not remove job postings from board) or if you are looking online, you can just print out the job information.
- Contact employer to discuss job specifics and to detail your individual skills. Be sure to ask any questions that will help you understand the duties and responsibilities of the job.
How to Remove Your Job Posting
When your job posting has been filled, please call the JobLink voicemail and leave your name, job number and whether the job was filled or if the posting expired. If you would like a return call, please leave your telephone number on the voicemail.
Job Board Locations:
- Online Job Board Listings
- MIYFS Office
Luther Burbank Park Administration Building
2040 - 84th Ave SE
FAX: (206) 275-7890
Mon and Fri: 8:30 am - 5 pm
Tues, Wed, Thurs: 8:30 am - 7pm
- Mercer Island High School
Resource & Referral Center
9100 SE 42nd Street
Board available during normal school hours
- Crest Learning Center
4150 - 86th Ave SE
Boards available during normal school hours
For questions, please contact Cheryl Manriquez, (206) 275-7869.
How Can I Help Support MIYFS?
MIYFS is supported through a City partnership, community contributions, service contracts and revenue generated by the Mercer Island Thrift Shop. You can support our department in many different ways; below are some examples.
If you have questions or would like more information about the ways you can help, please contact our main office at (206) 275-7611.
- Volunteer your time and talent (read more…)
- Provide needed equipment or materials (read more…)
- Give us leads on possible sources of funding (read more…)
||Teens at Work: Facts for Employers, Parents, and Teens|
The above document(s) are Adobe® Acrobat® PDF files and may be viewed using the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™. Most newer web browsers already contain the Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™ plug-in. However, if you need it, click on the "Get Acrobat® Reader™" icon to download it now.