Helpful Information for Commuters
NOTE: On June 3, 2017, the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) permanently closed the I-90 center roadway to all vehicles in order to allow construction of the East Link light rail line.
This closure also changed some I-90 access ramps on Mercer Island: the reversible ramp at
77th Avenue SE closed permanently, and the westbound on-ramp via the tunnel at Island Crest Way is now restricted to HOVs only -- this means that SOVs must use an alternative on-ramp.
Exploring new transportation alternatives will help commuters avoid traffic or parking hassles. The Park & Ride on North Mercer Way now fills by 7:00am on weekdays.
City of Mercer Island I-90 Light Rail Information Brochure
View a copy of the mailer sent to all Island households and businesses (May 2017)
Resources for Commuters
- Sound Transit's construction hotline is (206) 398-5465; the after-hours hotline: 1-888-298-2395
- Sound Transit's intended construction hours in general will be 7:00am-5:30pm Mon-Sat
- Sound Transit's Community Outreach Specialist is Zack Ambrose (Zack.Ambrose@soundtransit.org)
Additional Parking Options for Using Transit
- NEW (4/23/18)! The City has launched a discounted ridesharing program with Lyft & Uber to/from the Park & Ride. Avoid parking hassles and leave your SOV at home.
- The City's existing TripPool van partnership with Metro can take riders the "last-mile" to the MI Park & Ride so that they don't need to use (or park) their own car.
- Metro also has a new, off-site pilot paid parking program at the Aviara Building
- The City has on-street commuter parking permits (Town Center) for residents only
- As many bus riders already know, the existing Sound Transit Park & Ride now fills up by about 7:00am on most weekday mornings; the City is working on identifying other parking stalls in the area that may be available by lease.
Changes to Ramps (Starting June 3, 2017)
Changes to North Mercer Way
- Map of new traffic control measures installed in May/June 2017