Helpful Information for Residents & Commuters
NOTE: On June 3, the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) permanently closed the I-90 center roadway to all vehicles in order to allow construction of the East Link light rail line.
This closure also involves changes to some I-90 access ramps on Mercer Island: the reversible ramp at
77th Avenue SE is closed permanently, and the westbound on-ramp via the tunnel at Island Crest Way is now restricted to HOVs only -- this means that SOVs accustomed to using that entrance will need to use another on-ramp.
Exploring new alternatives will be especially important for Seattle-bound morning commuters...please leave yourself extra commute time.
City of Mercer Island I-90 Light Rail Information Brochure
View a copy of the mailer sent to all Island households and businesses (May 2017)
Resources for Commuters
- Sound Transit's construction hotline is (206) 398-5465; the after-hours hotline: 1-888-298-2395
- Sound Transit's intended construction hours in general will be 7:00am-5:30pm Mon-Sat
Additional Parking Options for Using Transit
- The City's existing TripPool van partnership with Metro can take riders the "last-mile" to the MI Park & Ride so that they don't need to use (or park) their own car.
- Metro also has a new, off-site pilot paid parking program at the Aviara Building [filling fast!]
- The City has on-street commuter parking permits (Town Center) for residents only
- As many bus riders already know, the existing Sound Transit Park & Ride already fills up by 7:30am on most weekday mornings; the City is working on identifying other parking stalls in the area that may be available by lease.
Changes to Ramps (Starting June 3, 2017)
Changes Underway on North Mercer Way