9611 SE 36th Street
Mercer Island, WA 98040
Contact: Ross Freeman
Email: ross.freeman@merce. . .
Hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm (Mon - Fri)
Mercer Island Recycling Collection Events
|Click here for the Fall 2017 Event Flyer|
One Saturday in Spring and one Saturday in Fall each year (specific dates are posted on website calendar when determined), 9am-3pm (vehicles may not enter after 3 pm).
Mercer Island Boat Launch, 3600 East Mercer Way
WHAT YOU CAN BRING:
- TIRES: Limit 6 passenger tires per household (18 inches and below) free of charge. $2 charge for each tire on a rim (cash only). $5 charged for each large truck tire and $15 charged for each truck tire on rim (cash only). No oversized tires accepted.
- MOTOR OIL, FILTERS & ANTIFREEZE: Motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid, 2-cycle oil, steering fluid, crankcase oil, kerosene, and home heating fuel. Do not mix oil with antifreeze, solvents, gasoline, or other substances. Empty oil or antifreeze containers will not be accepted.
- LEAD ACID BATTERIES: Car, truck, marine, and motorcycle batteries accepted.
- HOUSEHOLD BATTERIES: AAAA, AAA, AA, A, B, C, and D cell alkaline batteries. Rechargeable batteries and cellphone batteries also accepted.
- CARDBOARD: Please flatten. No wax coated cardboard.
- HOUSEHOLD GOODS & CLOTHING: Clothing and miscellaneous household items in good condition. Furniture and items in need of repair will not be accepted.
- CONFIDENTIAL MATERIAL SHREDDING: Shredding and recycling of confidential paper materials. Limit 5 file-size boxes. No exceptions.
- PORCELAIN TOILETS & SINKS: Toilet seats, hardware, and base wax rings must be removed. $15 charge (cash only).
- PROPANE TANKS: Residential five gallon tanks only. $5 charge (cash only).
- REFRIGERATORS, FREEZERS & AIR CONDITIONERS: $28 (cash only) will be charged for each refrigerator or freezer. $33 (cash only) will be charged for each household air conditioner. Please be prepared to pay at event entrance.
- APPLIANCES & SCRAP METAL: Stoves, microwaves, washers, dryers, other metal appliances, metal push and gas lawnmowers (drained of oil and gasoline), auto parts, lawn chairs, barbecues, iron, steel, aluminum, brass, copper, and other ferrous and non-ferrous metals free of charge. $5 (cash only) will be charged for each water heater that still has insulation coating. Metals that are insulated, rubber or oil coated, previously or currently contain chemicals, paint, or hazardous materials will not be accepted. Light fixture ballasts and sealed drums will not be accepted. Any item that contains gas or oil will be rejected.
- ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT: DVD players, VCRs, stereo equipment, printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners, cellular phones (remove personal information) and computer peripherals such as keyboards and mice. Computers, monitors and televisions will NOT be accepted. You can recycle these items for free at other locations - see the E-Cycle section below for more information.
- MATTRESSES: Mattresses and box springs, any size. $15 per mattress and $15 fee for each box spring (cash only). Vendor reserves the right to refuse any item it cannot recycle. No furniture or frames. No wet or soiled items.
- STYROFOAM BLOCKS & PACKING PEANUTS: White styrofoam blocks. Packing peanuts (any color). No urethane foam cushions, hot tub covers, expanded polypropylene or foam insulation. Expanded polystyrene only. Look for the #6 or EPS inside the recycling symbol. Packing peanuts: please keep in box or bag. Materials must be clean and dry.
- CLEAN SCRAP WOOD: Milled lumber, plywood, and pallets. These wood products must be untreated and unpainted. Please do NOT bring furniture, yard waste, stumps, branches, construction or demolition material, as it will NOT be accepted.
PLEASE DO NOT BRING:
- Construction/demolition debris
- Plastic toys
- Window glass
- Paint of any kind
- Solvents or thinners
- Household chemicals
- Cleaning products
- Fluorescent lights
- Computers & Laptops (See E-Cycle below)
- Televisions & Monitors (See E-Cycle below)
During the recycling event, bring nonperishable food or make a cash contribution to the Mercer Island Food Pantry (through MIYFS). Before donation, please check dates on food to ensure the date has not expired. Non-perishable food donations are tax deductible (tax receipts available). We appreciate your generous donation!
No flat beds or dump trucks allowed. We reserve the right to refuse oversized, commercial, contaminated, excessive or unacceptable loads.
Alternative formats or disability accommodations on request, call 206-275-7608. TTY Relay: 711.
Recycling event funding provided by:
- WA State Department of Ecology,
- King County Solid Waste Division,
- King County Local Hazardous Waste Management Program
SUSTAINABILITY INITIATIVE OF THE CITY OF MERCER ISLAND
Questions? Call 206-275-7608
ADDITIONAL RECYCLING RESOURCES
Hazardous Household Wastes
Household hazardous wastes can be taken to the hazardous waste collection site in Factoria at 13800 SE 32nd Street, Bellevue. The site is open 8am-4pm Tue-Fri and 9am-5pm Sat-Sun (except major holidays).
There is a 50 gallon limit and a gasoline limit of 30 gallons per customer per day and customers will not get their containers back. No containers can be over five gallons in size. Separate motor (crankcase) oil from all other fluids. Pure crankcase oil containers will be returned. No latex paint is accepted.
For more information about volume restrictions and other household hazardous waste disposal options visit
www.hazwastehelp.org or call the Household Hazards Line, Monday to Friday 9 am to 4:30 pm except holidays at 206-296-4692 or 1-888-ToxicEd (869-4233).
E-Cycle Washington on Mercer Island
E-Cycle Washington is a free program of the Department of Ecology that makes it easy for Washington residents to recycle their broken, obsolete or worn-out electronics. Mercer Island has a certified E-Cycle Collector, E-Recycle, LLC.
They accept the following items FREE OF CHARGE:
They accept the following items for a fee:
- TVs (any size and shape)
- Desktop or laptop computers (all peripherals and cables)
- Tablets (E-readers, iPad, MS Surfaces, etc.)
- Cell Phones
- DVD or VCR players
- Stereo Equipment
E-Recycle is located at 7835 SE 30th Street, Mercer Island.
- Fax Machines ($5)
- Printers ($5)
- Desktop copiers ($5)
- Copiers larger than desktop ($50)
They are open 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Tuesday - Friday (closed Saturday - Monday).
Contact E-Recycle at (206) 230-8188 or email@example.com.
Visit 1800recycle.wa.gov to find other authorized E-Cycle locations. Remember, it is always a good idea to delete or remove all personal information from any item you are recycling – better safe than sorry.