|PIER AND SHORELINE IMPROVEMENTS PROJECT – SUMMER 2018
This summer, the City of Mercer Island will close the Groveland Beach Park beach and swim area in order to perform necessary repairs to the large pier and construct improvements to the north area of the shoreline. This project includes:
The City has closed access to both piers, effective May 1, 2018, until repairs have been completed. Access to the shoreline and swim beach will close completely beginning August 20th, 2018.
- Installation of a wave attenuator and buoys beyond the large pier
- Structural repairs to the large pier
- Installation of a lake water intake pipe for landscape irrigation
- Removal of the small wooden pier
- Renovation of the shoreline north of the concrete bulkhead, including new steps to the water for hand-carry boat access, new native landscape plantings and the installation of salmon spawning gravels in shallow water
The beach area is expected to re-open to the public in early 2019. The City will maintain access to the park’s playground for as long as possible while construction is underway.
NOTE: The beach at Groveland Beach Park will not be guarded during the 2018 summer season.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this project, please call Alaine Sommargren, Natural Resources Manager, at 206-275-7879.
Groveland Beach is located at SE 58th Street and 80th Ave SE.
General Groveland Beach Information:
Lifeguards: Groveland Beach will not have lifeguards during Summer 2018. Visit Luther Burbank beach for guarded swimming.
If you are interested in bringing a large group to visit either Groveland or Luther Burbank beaches in the summer months, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details and reservation information.
Important: Buses cannot access Goveland Beach Parking Lot, and bus parking is not permitted. Mini-buses (15 passenger) are appropriate.
- Swimming (no lifeguards)-We do not accept reservations for Groveland Beach.
- Barbeque area
- Playground area for children
- Restrooms (available during summer season only)
Pets are not allowed at public swim areas from May 1 to September 30. Outside of these times dogs are allowed on the beach but must be on a leash at all times. Link to Off Leash Areas on Mercer Island
From I-90 Eastbound take the West Mercer Way Exit #6
Take a right at the stop sign. Follow West Mercer to the 5800 block. Follow the one way drive and take a right at stop sign. Park will be on your left.
From I-90 Westbound take the Island Crest Way Exit, # 7A
Go straight through two traffic lights. Take last left on 76th Ave. Take a right at the stop sign onto 24th Ave. Go up hill and take a left at the four way stop onto West Mercer Way. Groveland is at the 5800 block on your right.