Special Event Rentals
Planning a Special Event on Mercer Island?
The City of Mercer Island values the contribution of special events to the City's vitality and quality of life. If your special event meets all of the criteria listed below, you may complete and submit a Special Event Application, along with a $20 non-refundable application fee made out to the City of Mercer Island and mail to the Parks Facility Coordinator: Mercer Island Parks and Recreation Department, 8236 SE 24th St, Mercer Island, WA 98040.
Criteria for Special Event
The application/permit process begins with a review by the Special Event Committee. Once you are notified that your application has been reviewed and accepted, you will proceed to the next step of fulfilling all the requirements on the Special Event Checklist . The Special Event Permit serves as the final authorization for your event.
- Is reasonably expected to cause or result in more than 50 people gathering in a park or other public place.
- Weddings of any size.
- Picnic rentals that require food trucks, catering, or vehicle access.
- Events that will charge an entry fee, use sponsors or will include booths that are rented to vendors.
- Is reasonably expected to require the provision of substantial public services (emergency medical services, road closures, etc).
Special Event Fees
We issue two types of Special Event Permits
- Weddings in the parks
- Reserving an area that is not part of our established rental facilities (including the Amphitheater and Calkins Point at Luther Burbank Park and Mercerdale Park).
- Any event with more than 150 people, but less than 200 people (including picnic rentals).
- Any event with more than 50 people (including picnic rentals).
- Filming in the parks with a small crew (5 people or less), without a closed set.
- Photo shoots with a small crew (5 people or less), without a closed set.
- Any event for less than 200 people using amplified sound or specialized equipment.
Large Special Event Application/Notice of Intent
- Events expecting more than 200 people.
- Events that will be charging an entry fee, using sponsors or will rent booths.
- For events held on public streets, sidewalks, walkways, or other areas that interfere with regular vehicular or pedestrian traffic or require the use of City Services.
- Filming or photo shoots that require closed sets or have a crew of more than 5 people.
Large Special Event Application Packet
Frequently Asked Questions
Special Events Policy