Parks & Recreation Commission
In January 2019, the City Council adopted Ordinance No. 19C-01,creating the Parks & Recreation Commission. The Commission will officially begin in June 2019 following member recruitment in the spring.
The purpose of the Parks & Recreation Commission is to serve in a policy advisory capacity to the City Council. The duties and responsibilities of the Parks & Recreation Commission shall be to:
- Develop the Parks, Recreation and Open space (PROS) plan as a component of the City’s comprehensive plan and provide recommendations on periodic updates to the plan as directed by the city council.
- Provide a forum for the community to express their views on parks and recreation programs, services, and facilities.
- Advise and prepare recommendations on master plans for parks, trails, open space areas, and other recreation facilities and advise on the acquisition of park property.
- Make recommendations on the proposed budget for parks and recreation, pertaining only to programs, levels of service, and capital improvement projects.
- Promote park and recreation activities within the City.
- Support and foster inclusive programs and services that embrace and enhance the cultural diversity of the community.
- Explore opportunities to obtain private, local, state, and/or federal funds to support Parks and Recreation programs, services and facilities.
- Facilitate communication and cooperation with existing organizations including schools, businesses, non-profits, organizations, foundations, and other community groups to collaborate on the delivery of Parks and Recreation services.
- Provide a forum for the community to express their views regarding library services on Mercer Island and serve in an advisory capacity to the King County Library System.
- Advise on other matters as directed by the City Council.
Applicants should have an interest in park planning, recreation, athletics, urban forestry, environmental stewardship, and library programs as evidenced by training, experience or actions. They must be residents of the City of Mercer Island.
The Parks & Recreation Commission shall consist of seven members, serving in 4-year, non-partisan positions.
Once formed, the Parks & Recreation Commission shall determine the time and place of its meetings.
||Length of Term
Four years running June 1-May 31