City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home City of Mercer Island, Washington - Home Facebook Twitter YouTube
site map
Back to Community Planning & Development

Land Use / Planning
Building and Permitting
Building Green
Building Permits
Code Compliance
Fire Permits
Solar Power Permits
Stormwater Permits
Tree Permits
Utilities and Right of Way
City Code
Weekly Bulletin
Design Commission
Planning Commission
Target Times
Meet the Community Planning & Development Director

Staff Directory

9611 SE 36th Street
Mercer Island, WA 98040
Phone: 206.275.7605
Email: epermittech@mercer. . .

Open to the public:
8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
on Mon, Tue, Thu, & Fri

10:00 AM - 4:00 PM on Wed

Notify me by Email
Code Compliance

The City of Mercer Island's Code Compliance team answers questions and investigates complaints from citizens on a wide variety of issues, including zoning, building, and nuisance violations. Depending on the nature of the complaint and the results of the investigation, the City will work with the property owner to abate any violations. Usually, a courtesy letter from the City of Mercer Island requesting that the property owner fix the problem is all that is needed. Most citizens are happy to cooperate!

What issues do the Code Compliance Officer address?


  • Trash/Debris
  • Junk/Abandoned vehicles on private property
  • Significant weeds/overgrowth
  • Vacant and unsecured structures
  • Rodents


  • Fence height and location
  • Acessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)
  • Intrusions into Setbacks
  • Encroachment into City Right of Way
  • Environmental concerns: shorelines, watercourses, and critical areas


  • Work without required permits
  • Work outside scope of permit
  • Work outside permitted hours of construction
  • Construction vehicle intrusions
  • Cutting down trees without a permit
Please note: The allowed hours for construction work are 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays) and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday. No work may be performed on Sunday and holidays. Holidays include the following: New Years’ Day; Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday; Presidents’ Day; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labor Day; Veterans’ Day; Thanksgiving Day; Day after Thanksgiving Day; Christmas Day. Please see MICC 8.24.020 for further information. If construction work is observed outside the allowed hours, please contact Community Planning & Development at 206-275-7605. Construction work does not include minor maintenance and décor improvements (e.g. painting). City Hall is open from 8:30am-5:00pm Monday-Friday (unless otherwise posted) – to report violations outside regular business hours, contact the police by dialing 911.

How do I report a complaint?

Please complete a Code Compliance Request Form and fill it out as completely as possible. Click here to complete the form online. Please download the form and attach it to an email to You may also come to City Hall to drop off or complete a paper copy.


What is the City's process for handling complaints?

Once a complaint has been received, the Code Compliance Officer will investigate to see if a code violation exists. Often, in order to make this determination, the Code Compliance Officer will contact the property owner either by phone, letter, or in person. Once a violation is determined to exist, the Code Compliance Officer will work with the property owner to resolve the issue. Depending on the gravity of the violation, the Code Compliance Officer may send out a courtesy letter, a correction notice, or a notice of violation.

Who is the Code Compliance Officer?

Anthony Myers is our Code Compliance Officer. Anthony can be reached by telephone at (206) 275-7712 or by email at

What if I receive a letter or Correction Notice about a violation?

City staff is very willing to work with property owners. In some cases, additional time may be need to resolve a violation. This can be discussed by contacting the Code Compliance Officer listed on the notice.

Who do I talk to about other issues?

Common issues that are not directed to the Code Compliance Officer are:

  • Animals (loose, vicious, or dead): King County Animal Control (206) 296-7387
  • Barking Dogs: (M.I. Police, non emergency) (425) 577-5656
  • Abandoned vehicles in the right of way: M.I. Police Department (206) 275-7610
  • Smoke/Odor Complaints: Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (206) 343-8800
  • Tree cutting in the right of way: Hannah Van Pelt (206) 275-7819
  • Tree cutting in parks: Paul West (206) 275-7833
  • Tree cutting on private property: John Kenney (206) 275-7713


City of Mercer Island Washington | All Rights Reserved © 2020| Privacy Policy | printer friendly version Printer friendly version | Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A