9611 SE 36th Street
Mercer Island, WA 98040
Madrona Crest West 2016 Projects
You are here: www.mercergov.org/MadronaCrestWest
The City’s contractor, Thomco Construction, began work on May 24, 2016.
|New sidewalk along 86th Ave SE.|
May 24-June 20:
June 20-June 24:
- Installed new water main on 86th Ave SE from SE 40th Street to approximately 150 feet north of SE 39th Street, and on SE 39th Street from 86th Ave SE to approximately 300 feet west of the intersection of 86th Ave SE and SE 39th Street.
- Made a new water main connection north of the intersection of SE 40th Street and 86th Ave SE
- Transferred individual water services from the old water main to the new water main on the stretch described in the first bullet above.
June 24-July 15:
- This week Thomco will cut and cap 2 segments of water mains on 86th Ave SE and on SE 39th Street to provide adequate clearance for storm line installation and street improvements. In addition, Thomco is planning to perform surveying, potholing, clearing and grubbing in preparation for storm drainage improvements on 86th Ave SE which will start soon.
July 25-August 29:
- Installed new storm pipes and catch basins on 86th Ave SE from mid-block between SE 39th St and SE 40th St to approximately 150 feet north of SE 39th St, and at SE 39th St and 86th Ave SE. intersection.
- Installed new water main on SE 39th St, on the west half of the block btw 84th Ave SE and 86th Ave SE.
- Made a new water main connection on mid-block of SE 39th Street.
- Installed a rockery wall in preparation for a sidewalk landing and ramp around the pedestrian signal pole (to be relocated nearby).
- Began grading for curb and gutter installation on east side of 86th Ave SE btw SE 39th St and SE 40th Street.
- Began water main installation on SE 37th Street.
August 30-October 31:
- Installed curb/gutter and sidewalk on east side of 86th Ave SE, btw SE 39th and SE 40th Streets.
- Completed water main installation on SE 37th Street, between 84th Ave and 86th Avenues SE.
- Street overlay on 86th Ave SE, btw SE 39th and SE 40th Streets.
- Permanent trench patching on SE 39th St, btw 84th and 86th Avenues SE.
- Pedestrian signal pole relocation at NE corner of SE 40th St and 86th Ave SE intersection.
- Begin property restoration on 86th Ave SE, btw SE 39th and SE 40th Streets.
- Continue installation of new water main on 86th Ave SE (north of SE 37th Street), and on SE 36th Street (west of 86th Ave SE).
- Completed all new water main connections
- Completed roadway restoration on SE 36th, SE 37th, SE 39th Streets, and 86th Ave SE
- Completed property restoration on all water service connections to homes
- Installed speed hump on 86th Ave SE
- Installed hand railing behind sidewalk at the NE corner of SE 40th and 86th Ave SE intersection
- Contractor achieved substantial completion.
Neighborhood: Madrona Crest West (west sub-division of the Madrona Crest Addition)
View a Vicinity Map here.
- Between SE 36th Street and SE 40th Street (north to south)
- And between 84th Avenue SE and 86th Avenue SE (west to east)
Project Type: Water Utility Improvements, Storm Water Improvements, Safe Routes to School Sidewalk Improvements, and Street Resurfacing
Description: The City is preparing to start the construction of the Madrona Crest West Project in May 2016. The scope of work for this project consists of the following:
Water System Improvements
- Replace existing water mains with approximately 3,550 lineal feet of new 8” ductile iron pipe
- Replace and install 8 new fire hydrants
- Replace 82 water service lines from the main to the meter (some meters may be relocated)
Storm Water Improvements
- New storm water drainage pipes and catch basins on 86th Ave SE between SE 39th and SE 40th Streets
- New concrete curb and gutter and concrete sidewalk on 86th Ave SE between SE 39th and SE 40th Streets
- New 6-foot-wide sidewalk provides a safer walking route to new Northwood Elementary School
- Replace aged cracked asphalt pavement on 86th Ave SE between SE 39th and SE 40th Streets
- Replace existing speed hump on 86th Ave SE
- Narrower roadway at the intersection of 86th Ave SE and SE 39th St
Project Timeline: Construction is anticipated to start in late May 2016 and is estimated to take 150 calendar days to progress through all work areas, with projected completion in October 2016.
Estimated Budget: $2.0 million including design, construction, contingencies, project management, inspection, and other construction support services. This project is funded from the Water Utility, Storm Water Utility and the Street fund.
Project Status: To help keep area residents informed of our construction progress, we will post project updates to this site on a regular basis. (See section at top of page)
Impact to Residents: Area residents will be impacted by disruptions to your water supply and by traffic delays. There will be a number of water main shutdowns as the new main is installed and reconnected; these will typically occur between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Tuesday thru Thursday. Short duration periodic shutdowns for replacement of individual water services (i.e. connection to each house) may also occur. The City will send a notification postcard the week prior to water main shutdowns. A reminder notice will also be hung on your front door the day before the water main shutdown.
Occasional road closures that require rerouting of traffic may occur, however our contractor will try to keep at least one lane open on each road. Residents on 86th Ave SE, between SE 39th St and SE 40th St will experience more impact during the sidewalk and roadway construction.
Landscaping may also be impacted when the contractor digs trenches to install a new service line, reconnect your new service, or relocate a meter.
Important: Notify the City now if you have special landscape plants, irrigation lines or invisible fencing, particularly if they are located near the meter box. Also, keep everyone safe by keeping kids and pets away from the construction zones.
Want to learn more? You may find our list of Frequently Asked Questions to be helpful.
Contact: Rona Lin, P.E., City of Mercer Island Utilities Engineer: (206) 275-7806 or firstname.lastname@example.org